On the drive from MI to OH we noticed the 22RE was not starting at the first key turn. Had the "cold injector switch" checked and found it was not operating. Note that the mechanic could not test it if the temperature was higher than 90 degrees. Now it starts on the first try even after sitting for a few weeks. Mechanic told me that the part from Toyota was 1/2 the price of auto supply stores. Said that some auto supply stores purchase the switches from Toyota, rebox them and sell them for double the cost. I'll be interested if the fuel consumption changes. Usually get about 16mpg.

John H

SW Ohio

1986 21' Sunrader

22RE

Auto

It should have no effect on your fuel mileage the valve only works when you crank the engine and is temperature dependent. It’s not a real big valve and injects directly into the intake plenum more of a mist then any thing.

• 1 year later...

Yeah if it's bad it's very easy to replace right in the back of the intake manifold has a small fuel line connected to it. I personally would not replace unless you know it's bad they are pretty dependable.

Yeah if it's bad it's very easy to replace right in the back of the intake manifold has a small fuel line connected to it. I personally would not replace unless you know it's bad they are pretty dependable.

so it must be the cold start sensor?

the air filters are clean...

OK here is the way to check it. When the engine is cold remove the cold start injector from the manifold leave every thing attached remove the coil wire from the coil, point the injector at a rag (at this point it would be a good ideal to put out the cigarette) have a friend crank the engine for a second and see if it sprays fuel. If it does not then you need to check for power at the injector while it is cranking if it does replace the injector. If it doesn't then it can be any thing from the injector timer to the ECU.

• 4 weeks later...

If the cold start temp sensor or cold injector switch is bad, will it turn over at all? I am now having this issue on my 22re...lately it has taken about 3 cranks to turn over when cold (fine when warm). Yesterday at the campground it wouldn't start at all. Tow truck driver thought it may be the fuel pump, but he checked and thought it was getting fuel (just maybe not enough in all the injectors).

I had 20 50 oil put in last time and thought that may have something to do with a harder start when cold, but obviously it should start!

Thanks.

If the cold start temp sensor or cold injector switch is bad, will it turn over at all? I am now having this issue on my 22re...lately it has taken about 3 cranks to turn over when cold (fine when warm). Yesterday at the campground it wouldn't start at all. Tow truck driver thought it may be the fuel pump, but he checked and thought it was getting fuel (just maybe not enough in all the injectors).

I had 20 50 oil put in last time and thought that may have something to do with a harder start when cold, but obviously it should start!

Thanks.

Can't guess with fuel pressure on a fuel injected engine it has to be checked with a pressure gauge should be around 35 psi at the fuel rail it's very important for starting and over all running.