What year is my sunrader?

akwcanoe

Classic issue, I guess. The C&C was built at the end of May 1983 in Japan. This in itself causes some confusion when ordering parts. Case in point, Bilstein shocks for mini toyhomes are available for 1984 and up. Would the 84s work. The vintage of 22r engine is also confusing.  When I consider a timing chain upgrade my valve cover might allow a simpler/cheaper kit if it is in fact an '83 and not an 84.  When I look on various sites to identify which 'Generation' my C&C is there is a lot of variation. Some sites consider it a 1st gen pickup. Others a 3rd. 

Add to this the fact that my rear axle and all it associated components are out of, or based on, an 87 toyhome. 

The Sunrader portion is less of an issue but it would be nice to know what year it is deemed to be. And yes it's an Indiana Sunrader. :)

Based on the pics attached - any wisdom to share on this. I am collecting parts to upgrade the front suspension and brakes so some clarity would help. Pics are old. The axle has been replaced. 

1983_tamworth-nh-20-200x200.jpg

1983_tamworth-nh-6-200x200.jpg

IMG_20200822_1129223.jpg

It's original. The VIN gives a manufacturing date of late May 83 but that was a transition year for some components. 

If you go to this site and put in your vin it should give you the parts just for your truck.

Genuine OEM Toyota Parts and Accessories Online - Toyota Parts Deal

I have had some problems with it finding by vin on older trucks but if so just use the year and model. When you click on a part the dates that part was used will come up. If you still can't find the right one ask me. I will find it

Linda S

Example: This cylinder head gasket is only good through July 1983 so yours would be included

11213-35010 Genuine Toyota Gasket, Cylinder Head Cover (toyotapartsdeal.com)

I run into the same problem with my 88 Sunrader.  The coach maker bought the units in 87 then took a year to build them out. So my registration says 88 but it actually an 87. This makes the smog techs crazy and they don't know what to do. Also can be an issue on parts. 

Your vin should give the build date. Look at tenth digit. If it's an H it's an 87. If it's a J it's a 88. The smog computer already knows this so the tech shouldn't be surprised at all. 

Linda S

My Sunrader was built in Japan in Feb 1986 and managed to get to the US and get made into a Sunrader to be sold that summer. Some are quick