Temp. winterizing 1987 Sunrader

KonCon

Hey guys.

We're about to get some days of freezing here in Portland. I recently bought a 1987 Toyota Sunrader that we have been using on the weekends and plan to use about every other weekend.

I want to avoid that anything happens to it. Since I'm new to RVing I just want to make sure I'm not messing anything up.

image.png.d8aca383486f0f6a4c6f47132989ee79.png

Form what I've learned so far, there are a couple of different ways to go about these few cold days.

1. Flush antifreeze through the system
  2. Blow out the water with compressed air
  3. Have the thermostat set to 40 (or whatever the min is), open all the cabinets and have the heater run during the time it is freezing.

Here are my thoughts on each of them

1. Since it is only for a very short time, I would like to avoid the antifreeze in the system.
  2. My choice as of now. If you guys agree, that this is the best way to go I will post some pictures and follow up questions.
  3. My battery is at 65 right now. I'm not able to hookup the RV since it is parked on the street. I'm a bit worried that the fan of the furnace will drain the battery empty over that period of time.

What would you guys suggest I do to make sure the RV is not getting damaged.

Nico

Edited by KonCon

Assuming the temperatures are Celsius here, my guess is that two days very close to freezing isn't going to be a big deal. If your climate is such that this is only going to happen a couple of times through the rest of the winter, a temporary solution might be a Mr. Heater/Little Buddy (self-contained propane space heater). 

Josh, 

My bad. You are right this was Celsius. Thanks for your answer. I did end up emptying the heater, blowing out the water and pouring some of the pink anti freeze down each drain. I think I should be fine. I do have one additional question. Does anyone know what opening this "valve" is does? I opened it but nothing really happened. 

Thanks, 

Nico 

IMG_20210208_172318.jpg

As a best guess, I think that that is the drain for the fresh water tank.

It should be a gravity drain, no pump needed.

When it warms up a bit, add 5 gal of water to your fresh water tank and turn the valve and see what happens. Be gentle with the valve, its 35 year old plastic😲