Hello, I am a new member and have a few questions.  I had a 84 sunrader, 4 speed manual and loved it, unfortunately it had  a heater malfunction (think mouse nest) and it burned up. I found a 88 odyssey 22re aod tranny to replace it.  Very hard to find anything on the east coast.  The gearing is wrong for my area and od.  I would change the 3rd member for sure if the converter locked up in od, but it doesn't, I think.

If I go to a 4.88 will there be overheating issues with the tranny if I use od?  I have a 4core aluminum radiator. electric fans with tranny cooler internal plus the external on in front of the radiator.  Do these trannys overheat because the engine gets hotter from lugging or is it simply a tranny issue caused by slippage?  I would like to use the od but dont want to waste time if leaving the od off is the only answer.  I can do all the mechanical work myself including the ring and pinion swap, even have the pumpkin from the sunrader so the swap to a 4.88 woud be easy.  Your thoughts please---Thanks johnh

There several threads about regearing these MH. All are positive about going to 4.88. The O/D becomes a useful gear.

Yes the engine is turning faster in 3rd but at a way reduced throttle setting so overheating isnt a problem.

Here's is a long post about the conversion...https://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?/topic/9743-new-rear-end-gearing-question-456-488-or/

Edited by WME