Hey guys, 

First time posting here.. I'm thinking of doing an engine/tranny swap on my 75 Chinook and am curious of opinions. There is a W50 for sale not far from me and was thinking upgrading to a 22R/RE and running that, only thing is it doesn't come with the bell housing so I am wondering if the housing from my ?L43? will mate up to that and engine. There also is a OM617 TD engine/parts car for sale that would be kind of cool to get in there but curious if doing a diesel swap is a big job with HP fuel lines and that whole deal. Last one I was thinking of was the 2.7l 3rz swap with an W56 or R151 I believe. Just looking for opinions or input on what you guys have done or think may be a good route?

Side note: I have the entire coach of mine currently gutted and am going to rebuild so if anyone needs anything from a 70s Chinook feel free to reach out. I have counter top, sink, stove, OG propane tank, drawers, lights(no covers though unfortunately) bed/bench frame, cushions to go with and maybe a list of other stuff. 

Thanks in advance guys!

7 minutes ago, PatsNook said:

Hey guys, 

First time posting here.. I'm thinking of doing an engine/tranny swap on my 75 Chinook and am curious of opinions. There is a W50 for sale not far from me and was thinking upgrading to a 22R/RE and running that, only thing is it doesn't come with the bell housing so I am wondering if the housing from my ?L43? will mate up to that and engine. There also is a OM617 TD engine/parts car for sale that would be kind of cool to get in there but curious if doing a diesel swap is a big job with HP fuel lines and that whole deal. Last one I was thinking of was the 2.7l 3rz swap with an W56 or R151 I believe. Just looking for opinions or input on what you guys have done or think may be a good route?

Side note: I have the entire coach of mine currently gutted and am going to rebuild so if anyone needs anything from a 70s Chinook feel free to reach out. I have counter top, sink, stove, OG propane tank, drawers, lights(no covers though unfortunately) bed/bench frame, cushions to go with and maybe a list of other stuff. 

Thanks in advance guys!

The 22RE  and the 2.7 also are fuel injected you will need lot of stuff, wiring harness, fuel pump and plumbing, ECU and a lot of time. The 22R is not enough of a jump to be worthwhile IMHP.

The L43 is a much stronger transmission than the W50. There were a lot of breakage problems with the W50. If you decide to buy the W50, be sure it includes the shifter and hardware. The shift handle on the W50 is unique to that model. No other handle will work with it. You will also need the cross member from a 5 speed truck to make the swap.