Foam to Roam and Dressed to Impress.....almost.

shandamac

Hi all,

This forum has become an amazing rv renovation resource for me. I continue to read past posts and learn something new practically every day. Congratulations on being very cool!!!

I went to our little town's only fabric store yesterday to buy foam to start building the backers for Sadie's dinette bench seats. I was so dissapointed. The thickest stuff they had was precut outdoor furniture cushion foam, everything else was quilt batting. So now the search begins for foam; nice sturdy stuff that I can cut, shape, glue to a board, then cover with fabric. Any input on a good foam source will be greatly appreciated.

On the happy side, Sadie no longer leaks. A day or so after rebutylizing the back 3 windows and the bathroom skylight, we had a storm come through...a real toad strangler. After it passed, I went out to check for damage. Dry as a Bone!!!!!!! Yeehaw!!!!! (For all you first timers, resealing your windows is not as daunting as it sounds. Make sure you have plenty of butyl tape before you get started, and take your time. Read back through the month's posts for "how to" details. These guys know their stuff.)

The inside is almost done. I sewed up the curtains lastnight and will install them tonight. Almost finished with the carpeting...letting the blisters heal for a day or two....(FYI, boning shears may cut through carpet...and bone, but they'll sure leave blisters if you've got a lot of cuttin' to do). Since I didn't take out the bench bases or cabinets, I just measured sections and drew out the basic plan on the carpet in washable marker. I knew I could fudge a little cause of the shag. I didn't staple, just used shallow screws in key spots. My feelings are, "the more permanant you make something, the more apt you are to have to change it later". My 2 fav mottos are.. "Nothing is set in stone" and "Never say Never". In retrospect, if I HAD taken out the cabinets and the bench bases, I would not have had as much cutting to do, and I my hands would be in much better shape right now.

The backsplash for the stove is a polyurethaned puzzle my daughters bought and put together for my birthday. (They knew I would love the colors.) The puzzle has been my inspiration for the interior.

I just need a few more items for the house; a brass clock, a coffee maker, a small something over the sink, and a privacy curtain for the cab. I'm still looking for the perfect fabric for the overhead mattress.

Now that I know she won't leak, I can drive her to the carwash for a good scrubbing

Hope you all have the most wonderful weekend.

Thanks for "being there".

shanda

ps. The green sparkly fabric was just to tease my husband.....since he had suggested taking Sadie and a buddy to a golfing tournament next weekend.

post-1592-1212097200_thumb.jpg

post-1592-1212097219_thumb.jpg

post-1592-1212097241_thumb.jpg

post-1592-1212097264_thumb.jpg

post-1592-1212097308_thumb.jpg

My wife was once in the upholstery business, so I would recommend visiting an upholstery shop in your search for foam. When she was in business you could order different size sheets and different thicknesses also of foam. The best quality of foam back when was called super foam, but she was in business several years ago, I suspect the name might have changed. You could buy foam sheets large enough to use for a mattress.............Good luck..........John A

Look at Ikea. You can buy Latex foam mattresses there (its the best, after memory foam which was developed for NASA). You won't find a better price for latex foam anywhere. You can cut it with a sharp knife or hotwire if you need a non standard size.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categori.../bedroom/10631/

A warning the stove/oven is a place with an infinite number of rattles. With the sound proofing from the carpet you will be able to hear things you never could before.

On the happy side, Sadie no longer leaks. A day or so after rebutylizing the back 3 windows and the bathroom skylight, we had a storm come through...a real toad strangler. After it passed, I went out to check for damage. Dry as a Bone!!!!!!! Yeehaw!!!!! (For all you first timers, resealing your windows is not as daunting as it sounds. Make sure you have plenty of butyl tape before you get started, and take your time. Read back through the month's posts for "how to" details. These guys know their stuff.)

Once you have all the windows done you will be set for the next 8 years or so. Keeping it under a cover when not in use will extend the life by a factor of 2 maybe 3 times. It is the constant sun/heat, rain/dew, cold/snow that is the real killer. Inside storage is best, erecting a tall carport comes in a close 2nd, and using a high quality cover such as those made by ADCO is the minimum you should consider. Using a tarp is not a good idea as tarps are NOT waterproof. If you need to use a tarp (because you are doing exterior work and do not want to wrestle a full cover on and off) always put heavy builders plastic under the tarp. Plastic is water proof but UV will make it deteriorate. Covering it with a tarp protects the plastic and the tarp can be roped down to keep everything from blowing away.

I didn't staple, just used shallow screws in key spots. My feelings are, "the more permanent you make something, the more apt you are to have to change it later". My 2 fav mottos are.. "Nothing is set in stone" and "Never say Never".

My favorite saying is: "Less is best" and "Never do anything that cannot be undone"

The backsplash for the stove is a polyurethaned puzzle my daughters bought and put together for my birthday. (They knew I would love the colors.) The puzzle has been my inspiration for the interior.

The puzzle looks "tes kool"....

I just need a few more items for the house a coffee maker, and a privacy curtain for the cab.

I have used Chemex coffee makers for more than 35 years and when I got my Toyota they were a perfect match as they are small, one piece, use pre-boiled water, and make GREAT coffee (btw the words "chemex coffee makers" above is a link to their web site).

If you look in junk stores (goodwill, salvation army, and other thrift shops) you can find these for a few dollars. I have never paid over $2 for any that I have so don't let the whopper prices for these scare you. I've found every size and model ever made (early and late variations) from thrift stores.

I carry a smaller size Revereware water kettle (also an easy thrift store score) for making the coffee and after I am finished I use the water that is remaining to mix with cold to do the morning dishes. Works out too slick for words.

Now that I know she won't leak, I can drive her to the carwash for a good scrubbing

If you really want to get the shine back, get yourself some 3m "marine fiberglass restorer and wax". This is a marine grade gelcoat polish and wax. It is "the bomb" for Sunrader coach exteriors. If your body is not dull you can use the 3m "marine fiberglass cleaner and wax" which has less cutting power than the restore. Then all you need to keep it looking new is the 3m "marine protective liquid wax". Which is the same product without any cutting. All of these products are designed for fiberglass gelcoat which is what every Sunrader has on the coach body.

Hi Shanda,

Sadie is really lookin' good!!! All your hard work is really paying off in a big way; she is starting to smile again if not downright laugh out loud at how great she feels! Sure hope you're still smiling and laughing after all your effort. You'll have so much fun in this little gal you'll never want it to end! Tell your hubbie that golfers like the color "green" oh wait, I think they like to play on greens...either way, he'll love it, too!

It's been fun watching and reading all of this come together for you! Happy traveling in Sadie! She's a doll!

Dianne

Congrats on Sadie!

If you really want to get the shine back, get yourself some 3m "marine fiberglass restorer and wax". This is a marine grade gelcoat polish and wax. It is "the bomb" for Sunrader coach exteriors. If your body is not dull you can use the 3m "marine fiberglass cleaner and wax" which has less cutting power than the restore. Then all you need to keep it looking new is the 3m "marine protective liquid wax". Which is the same product without any cutting. All of these products are designed for fiberglass gelcoat which is what every Sunrader has on the coach body.

would the above 3m products be equally effective (and appropriate) on a 1991 Itasca/Winne Spirit RV body?

also, is it safe to say that the "restorer" and "cleaner" versions are likely to scuff/remove cracked and peeling decals?

perhaps someone can recommend other products to refresh or polish an aging Itasca/Winne exterior ?

[sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, but seemed on topic] B)

would the above 3m products be equally effective (and appropriate) on a 1991 Itasca/Winne Spirit RV body?

also, is it safe to say that the "restorer" and "cleaner" versions are likely to scuff/remove cracked and peeling decals?

perhaps someone can recommend other products to refresh or polish an aging Itasca/Winne exterior ?

The "restorer" and "cleaner" have abrasives for cutting oxidation.

I would start with the wax first and see if it "shines up".

I would not go over the decal area with any abrasive compound as all you will do is scratch it up.

3m makes a wide spectrum of marine gelcoat maintenance products. Browse their catalog for more options

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/

I just have to say that your remodel is looking great and you're definitely inspiring me to spruce up the inside of our Toy! The dinette cushions should be done next week, but now I am turning an eye toward the ugly old carpet...

JMac,

Wishing you peace and tranquility during your new carpet project.

Don't forget, if you think there's fiberglass anywhere in your little toy, don't be scooching around prying out staples in shorts!!!!!!!!

Please post pictures. We love pictures!!!

shandamac