I've got a 79 motorhome with the foolie axle.  I've sourced a dually from an 85 which I will be picking up in a couple weeks or so.  I'm assuming I will have to move the spring perches over.  Does anyone know what the axle tube diameter is on the dually, I was going to try and source some new spring perches to weld on if this is necessary.

The perches will have to be relocated. Measure the width of your leaf springs (should be about 2 3/8”). As far as your axle tube, best to measure with a caliper as I’m unsure if the Toyota ff tube is uniform or tapered (never seen one).

You can buy universal perches. You’ll need the tube diameter and leaf width. The rest is pretty straight forward. One suggestion, as the axle rests on top of the leaf spring the perch becomes a natural trap for salt and other substances which in time could cause rust damage to the axle tube. 

I drilled two water relief holes on each perch prior to welding in place. This allows any water buildup to drain out. I’ve attached a picture for reference. 

F0E1CE0C-01EB-4377-B2BF-DE4357E9E0EB.jpeg

Edited by fred heath