Just got a87 Toyota dolphin an it has a box under the hood the previous owner said it needs replaced he said it was cruise control an what made it kick down to passing gear any information would be greatly appreciated the box is on the passenger side fender well 

CD37706A-CE79-43B8-9C0F-FC4878F35488.jpeg

It is/was a curse controller they did not control the "kickdown". The cable with all the slack in it ( red boot) is the kickdown cable from the looks it's broken. The cruise control units on the 4 cylinder engines really did not work that well when new. If it were mine I would just remove the unit the dangling cable was once connected to the throttle linkage. Spend the money on the kickdown cable the trans will work much better.

as far as I know those cruse controls were all after market . my 87 dolphin has one I have never tried it  to see if it works. you r.  battery is backwards the ground terminal should be by the fender.  but looks like that battery is the kind that has the posts reversed.