Tracking down current leakage

neubie

I changed things over to LED in the truck portion too, in part to discover if there were any not-so-off switches in the truck that might drain the battery unexpectedly. From prior experience, LED replacements seem to show intermittent contacts or bad switches better by lighting one or two LEDs in the package where a conventional bulb doesnt light up enough to be detected.

The result was my rear stop lights are receiving some voltage, even when all switches are off, and key is out. Only lights up a couple LEDs but given the number of bulbs in that circuit it is probably a significant drain on the battery. Disconnecting just truck battery ground turns things off, so its not coming from the coach batteries.

My suspicions are against the light switch at the steering. Is that easy to replace/repair? Any other smart ideas for test points except at the bulbs?

Pull all the fuses. Put them in one at a time. If you have a milliamp function on your volt meter place it between the battery and ground, it will show instant current flow.

No meter just hook the battery and watch the LEDs as you plug in the fuses.

20 minutes ago, WME said:

Pull all the fuses. Put them in one at a time. If you have a milliamp function on your volt meter place it between the battery and ground, it will show instant current flow.

No meter just hook the battery and watch the LEDs as you plug in the fuses.

Thats a good idea Will try at next opportunity. 

Led's draw so little current particullar one or two on a single cluster and tend to light from strange sources even flaky grounds can cause this because of the nature of a diode. Pulling fuses may get you a little closer. 

They all work. The problem is stopping them from working. The stop signal has a pair of LEDs on both rear bulbs turned on when both sets of batteries are disconnected at ground terminals on the batteries. Just the solar still connected. Something is leaking just a bit of voltage/current when there shouldnt be any possibility.

13 hours ago, neubie said:

They all work. The problem is stopping them from working. The stop signal has a pair of LEDs on both rear bulbs turned on when both sets of batteries are disconnected at ground terminals on the batteries. Just the solar still connected. Something is leaking just a bit of voltage/current when there shouldnt be any possibility.

The reason I asked was the possibility of one being reversed wired. It takes about 3 volts to light an LED properly many led's are wide band voltage like 5-30 volts they are regulated to the led spec. The phantom you are getting could be considerably less than 1 volt. A low current clamp on meter is what you would want they are specialized and start at 4 amps an go down $150 -200. You would be better with an inline meter and if you find a fuse that kills the lights it can be used across the fuse contact points. Good luck I hope you are patient.

Yes, not trivial. However, I do know that leaving the truck battery disconnected for a while turns them off at night.  Thats something. At least the coach circuits arent leaking into this pair. Have the meter, doubt if I can even buy the patience needed.  For now, keep truck battery ground disconnected while poking slowly at the fuses. It will resolve eventually.