Need Great Advice from Great Members

THIS WEBSITE AND ITS MEMBERS ARE A GODSEND TO ANYONE WITH A TOYOTAL MOTORHOME. YOU GUYS ARE REALLY SMART, AND REALLY COOL. IF ANYONE can wrap their heads around these questions and help I would greatly appreciate it. I have never owned a motorhome before, but am somewhat mechanical. I have a few questions to start, but you might be hearing LOTS from me. :)

1. What is the typical weight limit that I want to stay under for a 84 Huntsman fully loaded?

2. Best value but strongest, most durable tires? Heading into Mex and need great tires. Shocks too are shot... any ideas on great brands for these?

3. Boondocking- want to put solar panel on top to trickle feed battery bank. any ideas of something small but big enough to work? want to boondock for 3-5 days at a time.

4. Rear hitch rack for bikes or even luggage stuff? too much weight? any ideas of a good, strong brand?

5. Owners manual - I dont have one.. any idea how to order or get one?

6. Extra safety locks - Anyone know how to secure a motorhome above and beyond the basic door locks? Slider locks inside? We will be in mexico......

7. Roof Sealer- I dont have any leaks and surely dont want any. Any ideas of a good product that i can apply myself to cover the roof?

8. THIS ONE IS IMPORTANT- I need a generator to run the rooftop ac unit... some people say the honda 2000 will do it easily..others say no way. i am not sure the btu, but it is the stock unit, and i dont have it installed right now or i would just test it against generators. i am going to buy a honda or something similar in size and volume. do i need two 2000's or one 3000? any ideas?

Thats about it for now... sorry for the LOooooNNNNNGG post. Please help me. Your my only hope. :)

if i knew your answers i would surely help you...

welcome aboard... I am a newb too... 1983 Toy Dolphin...

2. if i were buying tires right now it would be the Yokohama 185 R 14 no contest... not even that expensive.... there is alot of off brand stuff out there but i would avoid them...

5. the owners manuals are fun to have but mine is so vague that it wasnt very helpful... trial and error seemed alot more informative...

7.so many sealer products... i like the eternabond sealers and the kool coat style roll on roof sealers...

but hey what do i know???!?!?!

good luck and welcome aboard... I hope you have a HUGE freshwater tank if you are going south of the border... ;)

montezumas revenge is NOT GOOD when running laps between the coach and cab...

I would take a good look at the electrical requirements for your A/C, a Honda 2000 is really a 1600 watt continuous duty generator, with a 2000 watt surge capacity. My Dolphin has an Onan 2.8 (2800 watt) built in which is a little noisy but it will provide enough electrical power. My A/C is an 11,000 btu unit which is just less than one ton, (one ton being 12,000 btu) and my microwave is 700 watt. They are the primary users of 110 volt A/C.

Good luck

John A

John,

I have an 85 Huntsman. If you look thru this site you will find help in almost every area you have questions about. The members have helped me with many repairs that saved me money and time by getting it right the first time.

I have an owners manual for my Huntsman and they are very limited in what they give you for instructions.

I did download a copy of the original sales brochure showing the 4 different layouts that were made for 85. I also have the utility brochures for my Huntsman.

Be sure you have the 6 lug rear axle.

Mine is a 4 cylinder 4 spd with carb.

If you need some pictures let me know I will take some as soon as it dries out here. I have a cover on the RV during this monsoon season this year.

Huxz

• 1 month later...

CRC,

Almost all of your questions have been answered on this forum before by what I consider some real experts with the Toyotas. There may be different manufacturers but almost all of them used the same techniques in putting the motorhomes together. Any advice you receive or read about on another brand of MH can more than likely be used on your Huntsman. The manufacturers all went to the same suppliers to put in the essentials. As far as manuals are concerned, about the only way you can get one is by copying one from another owner, I personally don't think they're worth the paper they're printed on. Most of them give you generalized tidbits of information and expect you to go to the manuals that came with your water heater, furnace, etc, etc, etc. Some of them have very rudimentary schematic drawings of the wiring.

I carry two manuals with my 83 Sunrader and I've never needed anything else. Those are:

1) A Chilton Repair Manual for the 83 Toyota Pick Up

2) Trailer Life's RV Repair and Maintenance Manual by Bob Livingston

The second book covers everything in your motorhome with lots of pictures.

Sorry I couldn't help you with any specifics to your questions, but they're all covered somewhere in the forum.

Good Luck,

Allen

Hey all,

Amazon.com has Travel Life's RV Manual by Bob Livingston, new and used from $18 and up. I just bought one. Thanks for the tip Allen.

Shanda

1. What is the typical weight limit that I want to stay under for a 84 Huntsman fully loaded?

2. Best value but strongest, most durable tires? Heading into Mex and need great tires. Shocks too are shot... any ideas on great brands for these?

3. Boondocking- want to put solar panel on top to trickle feed battery bank. any ideas of something small but big enough to work? want to boondock for 3-5 days at a time.

4. Rear hitch rack for bikes or even luggage stuff? too much weight? any ideas of a good, strong brand?

5. Owners manual - I dont have one.. any idea how to order or get one?

6. Extra safety locks - Anyone know how to secure a motorhome above and beyond the basic door locks? Slider locks inside? We will be in mexico......

7. Roof Sealer- I dont have any leaks and surely dont want any. Any ideas of a good product that i can apply myself to cover the roof?

8. THIS ONE IS IMPORTANT- I need a generator to run the rooftop ac unit... some people say the honda 2000 will do it easily..others say no way. i am not sure the btu, but it is the stock unit, and i dont have it installed right now or i would just test it against generators. i am going to buy a honda or something similar in size and volume. do i need two 2000's or one 3000? any ideas?

I'll answer using your numbering system

1) Find your GVW tag and go by what the manufacture recommended for your coach

2) Any load range "D" tire. Tire manufacture is up to you but load should be D range

3) If you are serious about boondocking go genset solar, and don't forget the inverter too. Solar is a topic all to itself and has been covered in this forum. There is nothing small but big enough, at least not yet.

4) You will have to get anything custom fabricated as far as the receiver. Many people like the http://www.stowaway2.com/ products

5) Not much in the owner's manual. You can find the individual appliance manuals in the files section of this site: http://www.toyotamotorhomes.com/technical.htm

6) Not much you can do to secure a motor home. Maybe get a locksmith to drill and install a deadbolt in the door. It is too easy to pop the wind vents and open the doors so anything you do will not be enough.

7) There is no need to slather roof sealer over a good roof. If you have holes in the roof that are leaking, sure go for it. Every 5-7 years you should remove all side, back, and front windows, vents, stack covers, remove the old putty tape, replace it with new putty tape and re-install, You will also need to remove the metal cover from both sides which run from the front to the rear (on the side seams), remove the old putty tape and replace it with new and re-install the trim. Cover the trim with new screw cover vinyl

8) Get an onan microlite 2800. Use an RV certified gen and perminantly mount it into a compartment.