Time to buy solar

Iflyfish

I have decided to put solar on my 1987 Sunrader. I have decided 200 Watts is sufficient with two deep cycle six volt batteries mounted in the factory box on the rear bumper. 

I want to buy an entire kit for this and have it installed by a competent installer. 

Do you have any recommendations where I can buy such a kit. I have champagne taste and a beer budget. 

Thanks,

Iflyfishsolar

I have used Windy City and Renogy. Both sell KITS on Ebay and offer free shipping.

Home work...Controller PWM vs MPPT,  panels Mono vs Poly,  Z bracket vs corner mount.

IMHO if the budget  will allow for a little Champagne go with Mono panels 21% vs Poly 16% effencey,  Mppt controller 90% vs Pwm 80% and corner brackets (glue down) instead of Z rackets (screw holes in roof) I mean isn't one piece part of the reason for a Sunrader .  Fergettabout glue down flex panels. In high temps they have a much shorter life span.

Check roof room and maybe go with bigger cheap panels, because 200w of solar is 200w of solar. Maybe 240 w solar and PWM controller. Anything is going to be better than nothing. My first solar was 60w and it was sorta an extenda stay. My current set up is 280w and is perpetual motion.

Reducing the power drain is equally important as big solar panels

Most solar pros want to sell you their stuff for them to install it. Check out the DIY scene it really isn't that hard.

Great stuff WME and Derek. I appreciate the feedback. What do you think about this one?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BCRG22A?pf_rd_p=d1f45e03-8b73-4c9a-9beb-4819111bef9a&pf_rd_r=WF58317V4KSBE643HW0H

Renogy 200 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Starter Kit with Wanderer

I will use all the info you have provided so far. Thank you!

Iflyfishinbrightsunlight!

The practical differences in benefits from mppt over pwm controllers may not be as great as emphasized on the internet especially if you dont plan on using up your 200AH (or rather 50% usable -- 100AH) every day.

This renogy kit is a very common starter kit for rvs, not too much wrong with it. The minor quibbles have to do with minor things like no charging display statistics or battery status. Things that a clamp meter could tell you.

If you try hard by buying parts on sale you can assemble the kit for about a 100 less, but its a chore to buy the controller, charger, panels, etc from separate vendors at separate times. So its a bit overpriced BUT direct from manufacturer.

8 minutes ago, WME said:

Thank you! I am looking at this one now, it has a digital readout that the other one doesn't but looks like same specs. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JK12544/?coliid=I3TI3O6H29951X&colid=206D8BWOLV3UH&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Iflyfishinthedark

Edited by Iflyfish

windynation is likely polycrystalline. i dont claim to fully understand the difference but monocrystalline appears to be the preferred version.  the windynation setup likely has alarger footprint but not by too much for most folks. here a couple square feet could make a big difference is use and maintenance. its not just putting the panels up there but also still be able to wander among them for panel, vent, and roof maintenance. nothing stops you from substituting the renogy controller or better still adding a monitor display like

https://www.amazon.com/bayite-6-5-100V-Display-Multimeter-Voltmeter/dp/B013PKYILS

that probably should be in any rv battery system anyway for health monitoring.

I see even renogy is making these now

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Extremely-Flexible-Monocrystalline-Solar/dp/B07BMNGVV3

remember regardless of the manufacturer, these thin panels do not take kindly to thermal expansion/contraction cycles. Mounting them on a roof is equivalent to using them as they die a slow death. some people get lucky or use them in moderate temperature conditions. But the panel problems are still well documented.

These are the no hole corner mount kits. Clean the roof and glue the mounts down. No holes.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-4-ABS-Solar-Panel-Corner-Mounting-Brackets-for-RV-SUV-Caravan-Home-Roof/302297128009?hash=item4662501c49:g:kYwAAOSw-0xYmBzJ

If you use the z brackets use lots of lap sealant.

39 minutes ago, WME said:

These are the no hole corner mount kits. Clean the roof and glue the mounts down. No holes.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-4-ABS-Solar-Panel-Corner-Mounting-Brackets-for-RV-SUV-Caravan-Home-Roof/302297128009?hash=item4662501c49:g:kYwAAOSw-0xYmBzJ

If you use the z brackets use lots of lap sealant. 

Excellent! Thanks.

Iflyfishwithmytoyfriends

just wanted to throw my two cents in. I have bought from windynation twice. not for my Winnie but for my remote cabin in southern ohio. both times I had great service and people on the phone were very patient and helpful. their 100 watt panels are well built. the first one has been in service for over four years without any issues. I just purchased, a second panel, which will be installed before winter. the second panel and accompanying wiring and connectors were exactly what was ordered to make the added panel pretty much "plug and play"  two thumbs up ! joe from dover.