Hello All,

76 chinook 20R 4sp 5 lug

Through some reading here in MANY different topics and post, I read the the stud measurements are 5x4.5 which is the same as the ford ranger/explorer but the stud size is different by 1/2" compare to 12MM. From my own measuring, a full size Ford truck 8.8" rear axle should fit with the explorer shafts with the correct wheel offset. Using a wheel from a Dodge truck should give me the correct back spacing. This will give a much strong axle for weight carrying and many more tire options with load C,D,E tires possible. I know that a ranger/explore wheel will bolt to the 12mm studs but run the risk of sheering the 12mm studs due the the wheel being made for the 1/2" wheel and not torqueing correctly. I would need to change (bore/drill) the front rotors from 12mm to 1/2" so I can press the 1/2" studs in.  This way I would only need 1 spare and not 2. Has anyone done this swap with success and done a write up about it that maybe I have missed.

We do NOT plan to do heavy towing but rather want the safety factor for the already weak 5 lug axle in the rig. What other vehicles would have the correct length leaf springs with the center pin in the correct location could be used. These rear springs are sagging BAD. Thursday 7-18-18 I had the rig weighed with most of the stuff removed from inside and it weighed 3220# with no occupants and less than 1/4 tank of fuel.

Thanks to all before me who have contributed to this site to make it such a great resource. Chris 

The 5 lug axle is not weak. It was only the fake duallies that caused a problem. Toyota still uses a semi-float single wheel axle on Hilux trucks in other parts of the world not very different from yours.

Explorer rear axle weight rating 3200 to 3350 lbs depending on year

Your axle weight rating 2900lbs

Also your entire camper weighs less than the GVWR for the truck alone

All that work makes no sense. Have your axle serviced with new bearings and have leaves added to your leaf springs.

Linda S

• 3 weeks later...

This past weekend(8-6-18), I used the floor jack and raise the rear end to what I thought looked like the correct rake from front to back.  Measurements taken at the rear bumper, I will need to raise the rear about 8-1/2" to 8-3/4". Has anyone swapped springs from a different year toyota or from a different manufacture?

What other mfg has the same spring eye to spring eye with the centering pin in the correct position? Right now the frame mounted rubber stoppers are 3/8"-1/2" from the axle. So when we load some food and clothes, fill the fuel tank and two people go out camping, I'm afraid the stoppers will be resting on the axle. I would like some suspension movement.