So I'm looking to buy an '85 dolphin with the infamous A43D auto trans. Taking it for a test drive of about 10 miles it ran and shifted like new. The odometer shows only 38k! I checked the trans fluid after the ride and it was sort of brownish in color, did not smell bad and really did not feel too hot to the touch. I've never had an automatic before on any vehicle. Should the color be still bright red? So if I replace the filter and change the fluid will that do? I'm not looking for any guarantees as for their reputation to begin with but am I opening a Pandora's Box? Should a trans cooler be put on these rigs also or are they built in? Thanks in advance. gj

The filter is about like your screen door. It takes about 16 qt to flush the trannie and torque converter. When you add the cooler and temp gauge that would be a good time to flush the transmission. You ARE going to add a cooler and temp gauge arn't you?????

I agree with WME with only 38K it would be a good ideal to have the transmission flushed. It would also be a good time to use synthetic fluid. If you don’t have a cooler add one the bigger the better. Continue with fluid changes (flush) every 30K. Like WRE said the filter is just a screen it keeps the big stuff out of the works and that’s all that’s needed if you have a lot of metal the damage is all ready done and is time for an overhaul any way. They are plastic and the drill is just wash them and put it back in. If you add a temp gauge watch it, down shift if it gets hot. Motor homes are hard to push thru the air so the converters slip that heats the fluid and gives it that lovely brown color using a lower gear reduces the slip and cools them down. Those transmissions were pretty good units but it is being asked to do more then it bargained for so you need to give it a helping hand and it will serve you well.

Thanks for the input. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm clueless about auto trannys. How do you flush them and if I add a temp gauge, what is the temp range for the tranny fluid? Thanks again.

You need some fancy equipment to actually flush the trans any good transmission shop can help you out. There are other methods but as you say you are a bit clueless about automatics so I would recommend a transmission shop. As long as it works well and has low mileage a flush should be fine. It would be a good time to install an extra cooler some came with extra coolers it will look like a little radiator with some rubber lines hooked to it. Mine has one but I am going to install a larger one I think it is factory and it’s small, bigger the better. The cooler you can keep it the better off you will be all things being equal it will run some where around engine temp so try to avoid any thing in the 225-250 range.