Low Flow from Hot Water Tank

markwilliam1

So the last systems check on Grannie was the Hot Water Heater. Made by American Appliances Co. It is original. 1985. When I bought Grannie I could see the tank had never been drained. The petcock valve was rusted shut! I was able to get it loosened and drain the tank but couldn't remove the value it to try and flush the tank so I just drained and refilled a few times. I got it fired up and the burners looked clean with blue flame. Got excited! Turned on the kitchen Hot faucet and hot water initially came out with a good flow then slowly slowed to a very low rate of flow. Same with bath sink although I get more pressure there. This heater has the anode in the back and it is so rusted cannot be removed! Don't think the anode has anything to do with water flow does it? All fittings and plumbing look excellent. No leaks and I don't think my plumbing system has any pressure issues because I installed a new water pump and it cycles off when the pressure builds up. She has a heavy duty factory installed bypass system and all valves work properly. Cold water pressure is excellent. Is there a way to dissolve possible build up around the hot water tanks outlet? That's my guess @ what's restricting the hot water flow. I'm able to fill the tank quickly. Sorry for the long post! Any ideas would be appreciated as I'm kinda stumped @ this point.

Move the bypass set to bypass. See if the "hot" water flow is good. You may have junk in the valves, or a filter nozzle.

If I move the bypass to bypass won't that stop the hot water flow out from the heater WME? My bypass system has 3 valves. 1 goes in the heater, 1 out of heater and 1 connects both. I did turn all valves repeatedly and seemed to help a little so I'm thinking the flow out from the heater might be restricted?? Don't know how to fix that. Was thinking about disconnecting the top valve where the hot water comes out to try and clean it but everything is so tight there I don't think I have any wiggle room. Any ideas on how to clean that value with unhooking it? Every time I even look @ plumbing it starts to leak Man!!

IF the bypass is bypassed its SUPPOSED to route the cold water from the pump to the outlet of the heater.  So if the outlet of the heater is plugged you should see an increased flow. Of course with your luck the valve is plugged too.

If you can remove the valves something like CLR may dissolve the build up.

If I understand you correctly, when I close the valve from the outlet of the heater (using the bypass) I get no flow from the hot water side of the faucets but strong flow from this cold water side. Does this indicate a restriction from the heater hot water outlet?? Thanks in advance. I so hate plumbing!!

You should get flow from the hot side when its bypassed. Got a picture of your system.