Looking for a spring style door check for my Chinook

Donnie

Hello team, I am looking for a spring style door check like my wife's 1975 Chinook had from the factory... When the door was opened it automatically latched itself...  I should have  taken if off before selling it. :(

My '78 has a large arm & an ugly cup with a rubber insert......... which I HATE. If anyone has a good used one to sell, I will buy it...... or if anyone knows where to find such a device, please advise..

thanks, donnie

You got me curious. I've stripped and scrapped a couple of 75,76, and 77 Chinooks and never saw anything like you describe.  How do you know it was OEM?   It's not a screen-door rocker latch like this, is it?

screedn door catch2.jpg

screen door catch.jpg

I think he is talking about the single roller one that fastens to the door. I believe you may find one at the big box in the door hardware section.

I'm not sure that this latch is OEM.. I just assumed that it was as there were no indications of any other latch ever being there..The original has passed on, so I can't ask him.

There is NOTHING on the door....everything is beneath the tail lite.. The door s free of any latch parts...that is why I like it..Plus it is very functional & obscure..  donnie

Mo's  Chinook 017door latch.JPG

Edited by Donnie

I forgot to add that the post stops the door & the latch is spring loaded...there is a small coil spring at the base that allows the door to self latch when opened.. i.e. the lever is fashioned so that the door pushes it down & it catches & holds he door.. To close just push the "lever" ........my terminology....DOWN

simple, effective & very cool.         ............donnie

That type is pretty common on camper trailers. Mine has one that holds the door open it has no spring it's just a friction fit.

I spoke with the daughter of the PO today.. She remembers that latch always being there.. I think she is about 60 years old now & seems to be of sound mind.

I searched the "camper sites" somewhat before posting & found nothing...If I can't find what I want I will fabricate one.. Thanks to both of you......donnie