RV generator

A 2K Honda will probably have issues starting a 13,500 even with a start cap upgrade. As the temp goes up so does the compressor head pressure making it even harder to start. The Champion one big enough to run your AC is one of the only generators that knew their market and has a 30 amp RV outlet nice touch. They are open frame 3600 RPM generators and no where near as quiet but you can buy 4 for the price of the Honda. My house generator is a 6K Honda open frame 3600 RPM generator it is not quiet either but when it's -2 out and we have no power who cares.

Thank you both for your input and advice, always great. I'll check the amp draw and if it looks feasible to run with a Honda 2000i I'll bite the bullet on a "pre-owned." Otherwise I'll just pay for hook-ups the few days a year we'll need the AC. (Because a 3k is not worth it to me)....or maybe I'll just get a cheapo Champion and deal with the extra noise....

Just keep in mind that any AC generator must run full speed to make any AC power. An inverter generator does not. Since inverter generators are DC based then can match engine speed to the load.

Portable generators are a crap-shoot. I've had some excellent Chinese units and some very bad USA-brand units (Coleman especially). The Ryobi generator comes from TTI of China. TTI makes some of the best stuff on the market - along with some of the worst. The modern-day chainsaws that carry the Homelite brand are TTI and probably the absolute worst chainsaws on the planet. The Honeywell inverter generators are very good and they are also made by TTI. Like I said - seems you'd have to find a few owners to find out. Even then - it's often difficult to get relevant reviews with portable generators since uses vary so much.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, you should probably buy and install a Hard Start Capacitor, about $30.00 (NOTE - Before you run out and buy one, pop the cover to make sure you don't already have one)

These store an electrical charge, and then when the A/C first starts, this charge combines with the normal power to add a short extra burst of power to help get the compressor started.

READ HERE for a short article on what it does and how to install it.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

A member of the toyota-campers site just offered an Onan Microlite for only $650. About the same as you would pay for a used Honda.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-campers/message/178640

I also have a Tiger provan and the microlite is mounted on the rear bumper. I see no reason why you couldn't do the same on a Sunrader

Linda S

The Champion's get pretty good press but I like your ideal of plugging in for as little as you might use it. I have a Fantastic fan and really that is all I need.