I live in Wisconsin and the vehicles here rot out real fast. The probability of finding a used gear set and housing is almost zero. The scrappers only keep parts vehicles that they know they can turn multiple sales from, everything else goes to the crushers. I stopped at one of the bigger scrap yards and asked if they had any one ton Toy trucks and the guy laughed at me. He said that the last one he saw was 20 years ago,

Maybe I can find a setup like that on fleabay.

Your documentation of your project is great. If I can find the parts, I may do that swap also. I have a 22 Re with overdrive auto tranny. I think that with the 4.56 gears I may be able to use overdrive without going downhill with a tailwind. I like the idea of coming off the line with lower gearing also.

I put 4.56 to 1 gears in my 1988 Minicruiser last year. Made a huge difference. I can now use overdrive. End result is now - in OD - I'm running a little lower RPMs then I did previously - with the 4.10 gears and auto trans in 3rd (OD-4th pretty much was not usable). Much better pulling power in the lower gears.

Two questions:

#1 - You did not mention what you did for speedometer correction. I used an adapter-gearbox to make it read right after the gear change.

#2 - You certainly sound like you know what you're doing To anyone else who may not - you have to be VERY careful changing the drive-flange. It is very easy to over-tighten and then ruin the bearings after just driving a few miles. I've seen several Toyota trucks get the bearings burnt up after some "mechanic" put in a new pinion seal. Unless it has been converted to a stacked-shim setup - OEM it has a crush-collar. It is designed to crush under a certain amount of torque when new. Once it is installed, and you take it apart to put in a new seal or flange - there is NO more crush allowed and you can NOT torque the nut on again as if if was new.

Yes, but GPS does not work everywhere I go. I'd much rather have a mechanically driven odometer and speedometer. Not hard to get an adapter gearbox to make it all work correctly with a rear-axle gear change. New OEM speedo gears are not an option since Toyota never made the correct speedo gears for a 4.56 to 1 rear axle and 185R-14" tires.

According to Toyota, 1991 cab & chassis trucks were only shipped with 4.1 to 1 rear-axle ratios. Quick way to check is to just jack one side off the ground. Put the trans in neutral. Mark the driveshaft. Turn the wheel(s) on the side that is up one full turn. Count how much the driveshaft turns. If the driveshaft makes just a hair over two full turns when the wheel(s) turn once - it's a 4.10 to 1 ratio. If the driveshaft turns 2 1/8 turns -it's a 4.30 to 1. If the driveshaft turns 2 1/4 times - it's a 4.56 to 1 ratio. If for some reason you've got a locking rear and cannot turn one side when the other is on the ground - they you must turn all the wheels together with all up - and double all those readings.