Wiring Breakers - Wire Too Large, Breaker Connections Too Small

MontanaChinook

So I have two different types of 30amp breakers for my battery to isolator connection for the coach battery. Both of them have little tiny connectors. I'm using 8 gauge wire. So I'm either having to try my best to stuff the wire into smaller connections than they were meant for, or use huge connectors with ring ends which are way to large for the breaker posts, so only a small portion is in contact with the post.

What am I missing here? From what I learned before, a 30 amp breaker is correct for what I'm doing. And that the larger the wire gauge from the battery to converter the better. Right? But these two seem to be mutually exclusive.

What should I do? The post size seems like it would work with connectors meant for 12 or 14 gauge wire. I'm using breakers like this, not household style breakers. http://www.wiringproducts.com/30-amp-manual-reset-circuit-breaker-12-or-24-volt-right-angle-mount.html

Am I just using the wrong type breaker? I had some marine ones before, but the spade connections on them were even worse.

Same site. Just didn't go far enough.

I think you may have a #6 post on the CB.

The company can tell you the correct terminal to use.

http://www.wiringproducts.com/8-gauge-vinyl-ring-terminals

Many autoparts stores carry the "buss brand" breaker along with the correct terminals.

I have some crimp on connectors with a small screw hole that took my 8 gauge wire. The problem is that I can't remember where I bought them. I used them all for my electrical projects on my MH. I will look for them at a couple of possible source and repost if I find them.

NAPA will have them they will be bare copper you can either crimp or solder them. If you try hard you can get a #8 into a yellow connector meant for #10. The post is a 10-32

Thanks!

I stopped down at the RV place to ask the same question, and they said I should be able to find what I need at the hardware store.

And...whether it just recently magically appeared, or I missed it the last time I was there, they did have what I needed. There are 8 gauge wire connectors with smaller ring terminals on them, you just have to look really hard.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone on this forum know someone who knows how to do all the electrical hookups on a '87 toy. MH? The converter, inverter controllers, solar panels, control panel etc

I have restored it and I can even hookup the (4) T-105's and the solar panel too but I do not understand how all of it is suppose to work together. Or what amp fuses and gauges of wires.

I am located in the Southern CA area

Thanks,

"I stopped down at the RV place to ask the same question, and they said I should be able to find what I need at the hardware store."

Yeah "hardware" stores vary, Loews no, Western Marine yes and they also have nice heavy duty heatshrink tubing with an adhesive inside. Way tough :) . Also any electric jobber will have a hugh assortment of insulated crimp-on lugs, the uninsulated are meant to be soldered. If you chose to solder be sure to use the heatshrink to provide stress relief as well as insulation.