21' Americana Or 21' Sunrader ?

Tomeejr

The Americana is a v6 with around 50k on it, the Sunrader is a 22re with 100k+ on it. The Sunrader appearance wise inside and out is cleaner while externally the Americana needs some sprucing up. Are the weights comparable ? I can't seem to find an accurate gvw of either. To be honest, I'd rather find an 18' Sunrader but haven't found one either not from the rust belt or one where I wouldn't have to rob a bank to pay for it.

The Americana weighs quite a bit more than the Sunrader. Don't know the exact weights though. If the Sunrader and the Americana are around the same price I would go for the Americana. V6 chassis has a smoother ride and my girlfriend got 15 mpg on her Americana. Not bad for size. If you really want an 18 footer though I would wait until you find one. Means your not really looking for more room but maneuverability. My Sunrader is 18 ft and I wouldn't trade it for anything

Linda S

I'm a mobile mechanic and plan to fund my travels around the good ole US of A by stopping at VW's that need TLC. That would mean me carrying around 500 pounds of tools, give or take. Lighter gvw weight is more attractive then more overall vehicle length. If the Americana is heavier then the Sunrader, I'll think I'll just pass that one by. Matter of fact, I think I might just pass on both of the 21 footers til I find an 18' Sunrader. I wouldn't mind finding one that needed to be gutted and rebuilt, thus I would be able to control the weight of the rebuild. My chihauhau and I don't need that many creature comforts in an RV. I spent 550,000 miles living in a tractor trailer, so anything bigger then a space 4'x7' will be like a mansion to me.

No I only know how much mine weighs. Yes they were supposed to be under the GVWR but many just weren't. Even the 4x4 Sunrader Greg used to own weighed almost 7000lbs. Larry from the toyota-camper site weighed his Americana but it was fully loaded and it came in at a little over 7000 lbs. I found another Odyssey owner who weighed his right after he bought it so I'm assuming not too much in it and it weighed am amazing 8600lbs. Tika's big Easy Ryder weighs 6000lbs with only a little gas and water in it. 4 banger too so GVWR is only 5500lbs. Lots of variations and none of them light

Except me of course. I weigh 5000lbs fully loaded.

Linda S

When I find someone with a similar Toyota, I ask them what the scale weight is. I'm always told "Gee, I never thought to have it weighed". I always find that a little hard to believe. I would gladly do without carrying 20 gallons of water, a water bed, a mahogany chestadrawers, a full sized refrigerator or whatever to shed weight. To me, tools are more important than home-style creature comforts.

500lbs of tools I'd load in a trailer, not in any MH.

Oh, I don't know...Depends on what other kind of weight you are carrying. The only trip I've gone on with a few other people, I had four people with me. That's 500lbs of just people weight.

Then an 80lb canoe, cooler full of beer and food, camping gear, two 40lb dogs, a 6 gallon jug of water...

Take out those people and the canoe, and 500lbs of tools seems reasonable.