Hello All,

I am 4,000 miles away from the 100,000 mile mark on my 1990 Toyota Odyssey (V6 - automatic trans)

and read somewhere that Toyota recommends a 100,000 mile transmission service that entails

dropping the transmission pan and manually cleaning out a built-in filter. Does this sound correct,

and is this a service better left for the Toyota dealer to do? Has anyone had this service done by

a Toyota dealer, if so, about what was the price? Also, do you know if the transmission receives a total fluid flush while the pan is off?

When I purchased my motorhome last year (it had 87,000 miles on it), I contacted my local Toyota

dealer inquiring about having a transmission flush done. I was advised that Toyota transmissions are

NOT to be flushed and that a Flush could damage the transmission. I was advised that all was needed

was to drain the transmission fuild pan every two years which would remove about 1.5 quarts of

transmission fuild from the pan, along with any particiles that were laying in the pan. Does this sound

correct?

Thank you,

Dennis...

After contacting my local Toyota dealer searching for a replaceable transmission filter I learened there wasn't one.

I assumed there was a screen filter of some sort inside. Since time was running out before taking the Warrior on it's

maiden voyage ... I simply drained what I could from the transmission and then topped it back up. I found 2.5 litres came out. I may attack removing the pan this winter. I do recall there was something unusual about finding a pan gasket, either it cost a fortune or there wasn't one so you used silicone. Perhaps someone else can shed some light

on that!

Regards,

Voicemaker

Hey Guys ! Watch the bolts that hold the pan on. They are very small in diameter and easy to twist off if they are corroded into the tranny case. I twisted one off trying to remove it. Luckily it didn't leak afterward.

Also, do you know if the transmission receives a total fluid flush while the pan is off?

When I purchased my motorhome last year (it had 87,000 miles on it), I contacted my local Toyota

dealer inquiring about having a transmission flush done. I was advised that Toyota transmissions are

NOT to be flushed and that a Flush could damage the transmission. I was advised that all was needed

was to drain the transmission fuild pan every two years which would remove about 1.5 quarts of

transmission fuild from the pan, along with any particiles that were laying in the pan. Does this sound correct?

Dennis,

I do not believe that the transmission receives a total flush by just removing the pan. Fluid would still remain in the torque converter and the transmission cooler. Some torque converters have a drain plug on them and you can drain the cooler by pulling the bottom fitting. The "dry fill" on my '87 chassis is "6.9 quarts". My "drain and refill" by removing the pan is "Up to 2.5 quarts". The quotes are from the owners manual.

Concerning a "Flush", I do not know if it would damage the transmission. There are lots of places doing back flushes of transmissions. My thought would be to find someone who knows Toyota transmissions inside and outside and pick them for info. There is lots of contraversity concerning transmission flushing.

Which ever method you use, do not try to pump the fluid out by running the engine and transmission! This will damage the transmission.

Hope you are considering using a synthetic automatic transmission fluid. It handles the destructive heat much better than dino atf can. It will cost you more but be well worth it considering that the tranny is one of the weak links of our motorhomes. The Mobil 1 synthetic atf is a very good product and widely available.

Edited by Pat

Hello All,

I just heard back from the Toyota dealer. The service that they provide is to give the

transmission a complete trans flush by replacing the fuild with conditioner, which is to

clean the transmission, then they replace the conditioner with 12 quarts of ATF fuild.

The estimated price is $150.

Since this is a Toyota Dealer can I assume they know what they are doing?

Has anyone else had this type of service done?

Does the conditioner process sound correct?

Also, I need to follow up with them if they are dropping the pan to clean the built-in filter.

My 1990 Toyota Factory manual states there is a built in filter in the pan that has to be

manually cleaned, does this sound correct?

Thank you,

Dennis...

1990 Toyota Odyssey V6

Dennis,

This is what everyone is going to. Many different names, but basically it vacuums out the atf (or other fluids) and pumps in new atf. Some of the names you may have heard are motor-vac, transmission-vac, BG Vac. They claim it is okay to back vacuum it thru the old filter. I have had it done once, but not on a Toyota. All the dealerships are going this route. Usually it is the only way to remove all the old fluid completely. Usually if you drop the pan, you only get 2 quarts out of the 7 that are in the tranny and torque converter.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

I have been dragging my feet on the transmission flush at the Toyota dealer, I need to

stop by and ask them for exact details on what they will do on their transmission flush.

Here is a good article that I found on a transmission flush (two types) and it deals with Toyotas:

http://www.gadgetonline.com/TransFlush.htm

Sound like the kind of transmission flush that I want is one that removes the pan and

connects the new fluid line directly to the trans pump, which will allow all the old fuild

to cycle out the transmission, then while the pan is off, then the in-pan filter can be replaced,

plus one can see what is on the bottom of the pan.

Interesting results if the in-pan filter clogs up....no more fuild to the transmission and it

burns up. Sounds like the real danger to the transmissions is the filter clogging up instead

of bad fuild.

The next decision I have to make is what kind of ATF to use, any suggestions?

Dennis...

1990 Odyssey V6 - 4-speed Auto.

When I got my toy the trannie fluid looked like mocha coffee. So I had it flushed.

The shop that did the flush used a very sinple device, it was a large plexi cylinder about 12" in dia it had a floating pistion in it. They pushed the pistion all the way down and poured 16 qts of new fluid on top of the pistion. Then a plug that sat on the new fluid.

The bottom of the piston got the out from the trannie and the plug got the return line hooked up. ( they used extension lines to get to the transmission)

When they started the engine the transmission pump the bad stuff to the bottom and the piston pushed the new stuff back into the trannie. So the whole time there is only normal transmission pressures involved. After about 12 qts the fluid at the bottom was clear to the eye but they used all 16qt.

Since then once a year I drain the pan then add 2 qt to top things back up.

The next decision I have to make is what kind of ATF to use, any suggestions?

Dennis...

Dennis,

I believe the Toyota manual calls for Dexron II or III. The Mercon V, or any synthetic atf which meets Dexron specs, is a excellent substitute for Dexron II or III. It will handle the heat created inside the transmission much better. It will even fix some of the hesistation in the tranny. Here is a excellent discussion on atf at bobistheoilguy .

• 4 months later...

I went down to Toyota and talked to the trusted parts man who assured me that the Toyota $150 flush was the way to go. I bit the bullet and went for it. They pumped through 13 litres of fluid before everything was clean and the difference is phenomenal.

So far so good but I now think that a Trans. cooler and a temp guage are the next steps.

Will advise if there are any issues or problems that come up.

87 SunRader

• 1 month later...

Hi Dennis, no they didn't drop the pan, I wish they had but I will do this myself after I finish the 'trips this summer' to get ready for the winter.

Differences, much smoother both in sound and in feel when shifting up and down. Quicker as well which makes me think the previous fluid was pretty much 'cooked'. The Chilton manual

shows trans fluid lifespan dramatically reduced with heat.

I did just do 4,000 miles to southern California (Joshua Tree to Death Valley) and back and it ran well. Still have shift issues with mountain passes, really long hills but noticed that if you run gently up and don't shift into overdrive until you have gone downhill for a few miles everything runs flawlessly. Some of the hills and passes are pretty big for a 4 cylinder auto.

DONM, did the Toyota dealer end up dropping the pan and cleaning or replacing a filter?

Also, what improvements did you notice?

Thanks,

Dennis...

Dennis, it took me about 45Min to drop the Pan, clean it and the magnet which is inside the Pan, and change the Filter (it is really just a fine-mesh screen). At 60,000Mi Ms Dolphin's filter was clean and there was a thin layer of gray slime in the bottom of the Pan (one paper towel absorbed it all). Auto Parts stores carry the new filter packaged with a new Pan Gasket.

Lew

SKP #100106

Hotel Dolphin-400 nights and 50,000Mi in 4Yrs

http://traveldolphin.blogspot.com/

'86 21Ft RB Dolphin, 22RE, A43D, One Ton Rear Axle

5960LB rolling on P195/70R14 Load Range "B" tires

Kyocera 125W Solar, Solar Boost 2000E MPPT Controller

Lifeline Grp27 AGM

Atwood 7916II, Dometic 2410, Insinkerator 2.5Gal 1500W WtrHtr

Rear mount 8KBtu 10.8EER Frigidaire A/C

Permanent Macerator Sewage Pump (no Stinky Slinky for us!)

Rostra Servo-Motor Actuated Cruise Control

Sprint Sierra Aircard 595 in an IBM ThinkPad R52

Cyfre Dual-Band Cellphone/Aircard Amplifier