Interior decor

Debbit

The inside of our 84 dolphin is, well, so eighties. Brown, black and cream plaid, dark brown/dark olive green carpet, gold flowered wallpaper. Well, you all know. One son says leave it all, retro is in. Daughter says redecorate to chic and modern. Third son says, it's a camper, live with it. My husband thinks the plaid and carpet is awful, but don't know if he minds it enough to help me remodel.

How many have really redecorated and changed the way their lil RVs look?

Does changing the interior (if done well) take away or add to the resale 'value'?

Big for me is no carpet. How hard to remove carpet from areas around cab, etc? Does that carpet prevent rattles? I've thought I'd start with the floor, and see how much that changes the look. Then think about the carpeted box under the chairs.

I don't think I want to paint the walls, but would like to reupholster or cover couch and chairs. And repaper kitchen and bed area. Anyone found a good substitute for the club chairs that came in there? I like the seating they provide, but not the style exactly.

This is all assuming the leaks have been fixed!

Carpet is probably no big deal. It doesn't prevent rattles, but it acts as a bit of sound insulation so you can't hear them as well.

If you're talking about ripping up the carpet in the cab, peel a corner back a little ways first, before you commit, and see what's under it. If your truck was originally vinyl floored, and someone threw down some shag, no big deal. Pull it up. But if your truck came carpeted and you pull it up, you're going to have bare metal as a floor. Bad sound and heat insulation. You WILL notice much more noise, and experience much more of a "driving a tin can" feeling.

Coach carpet, no big deal. Tear it up. Put something better down.

If you can reupholstery yourself, definitely do it. But it's real expensive to have it done. Doesn't take away value; probably adds it. Same as with a house, I guess...it depends on how you do it. If you're "customizing", like reupholstering with NY Jets fabric or little teddy bear designs...yeah, you're limiting your resale market. But tasteful upgrading will never hurt. Just remember its like anything...just because you spent $3,000 remodeling the interior doesn't mean you added $3,000 value to the camper. Maybe more like $300.

Reto is in, but only certain retro...and really who cares? Make it what you'll be the most comfortable in. Chasing what's "in" is for the kids who haven't developed a strong sense of self yet, or the unfortunate adults who never did...

IMHO if the original upholstery is clean, not threadbare or holy (have holes and/or rips) and does not smell bad....keep it. If the carpet is clean, not threadbare or holy, and doesn't stink........keep it. If the walls are clean and doesn't have falling wallpaper, etc .......keep it. Does the whole interior look match.......keep it. I actually liked the 80's look, of course I actually liked the 70's with my burgundy plaid bell bottoms, but that's another story. With that all said, it is your camper to enjoy. Some people actually like updating their camper more than camping, but everyone has their druthers. The important thing is what you feel comfortable with. As far as value, original, clean, interiors brings value because it reflects the condition the vehicle was maintained to a future buyer, usually. Value can be added if an update fixes the bad stuff like leaks etc and looks good and doesn't look like a quick cover up just to hide flaws hoping to fool a prospective buyer. Again, it is what you feel comfortable with and what you want to do to make it suit your tastes. Neutral adds more value to future buyers.....IMHO.

Allen

When we bought ours the couch had been reupholstered but not the two chairs. We had them redone in a more modern style with fabric that complements the couch. It was $350 + the cost of material (can't remember $) but we are extremely pleased we spent the $.

The carpet we had planned to rip out although it is in really nice condition. After we got it home and really started looking at all the areas that had to be redone we decided we loved it.

Yeah if you reupholster and keep the same foam/cushions, its not so bad. If you're going to replace the foam (with anything better than the crap they sell at craft stores), you'll be over the $1,000 mark.

I do agree, an interior which is clearly original, and in great shape, is a great selling point, since the buyer will know it was taken care of.

But I always buy things assuming I'll be the last owner. I hate the idea of doing things or not doing things with someone other than myself or the people in my life in mind; basically living in something that I'm preserving for the next owner. My camper is MINE, and I'm going to make it what I want.

But you DID bring up resale value...

Good thoughts. Thanks!

Have some falling down wallpaper, and the damaged paneling that I replaced with a thin fiberboard. So will Do some wallpapering.There is a lot of carpet sort of everywhere. May keep the vertical carpet and just replace the floor in a while. I just don't like keeping it vacuumed, would rather sweep hard surface.

Found some fabric I like and I'm going to make slipcovers for couch and chairs. I think.

I'd enjoy fixing it up more if it were cooler....maybe in the fall, but that's when we take our first long trip.

Unless you have plans to enter your motor home in a concours d’elegance competition I don’t believe it will have any bearing on resale. It’s kind of like a house no matter who you sell it to they will change it. You are the one that needs to be comfortable in it. It’s your ride enjoy it. If you make it really funky it may take a few more phone calls to sell it but it still won’t last a week if the price is right.