I just bought a 1984 Sunrader 18 ft. It does not have the upgraded axle. From what I can tell from the "axle facts" is that 18ft and shorter were not recalled. It has 113K miles on it. Have there been failures on the "shorter" motor homes? Should I panic and try to find a floating rear axle immediately? Any suggestions where I might be able to find a rear axle w/o having to buy an expensive rear unit from Toyota?

Thanks for any advice.

cyclist

Do you want to stick with a stock axle or do you mind having a custom drive shaft made?

you are correct, but the questions I asked are to determine whether you would want to look for a free floating dual axle or have an axle shortened and swapped in thereby requiring a new u-joint and/or length of drive shaft.

Not being an expert on the whole axle swap thing, from all the stuff I read I would think that the axle would be "okay" as long as the Sunrader's weight is low. The issue with the axle recall seems to center around the motorhome manufacturers building them over chassis specs..

How much does/will your Sunrader weigh loaded?

Was the motorhome well maintained (axle fluids changed).

I would swap out the semi-floater axle for a full-floater axle or a custom axle one less thing to worryabout.

Thanks for the input. Don't have a clear history, but it seems to have been maintained pretty well. I don't know the weight, but it doesn't have any extras such as A/C & was used by a single person so I don't think it has been overloaded.

I think I will take your advice and swap for a full floater at some point in the future, though.

My 18 footer Sunrader weighed in at 6900 pounds fully loaded. Thats as much if not more than some of the larger rigs. It is a 4x4 so your guess is as good as mine on how much the 4x4 gear weighs over a 2 wheel drive. Load it up and have it weighed so you really know if you are tempting fate. Have any idea if its ever been overloaded and how many times or how many big potholes, railroad tracks etc its taken in its past. Many times they come apart when cornering. Nothing like going into a sweeping turn at 55 and have your axle break. Its not like the axle breaks in half and you come to a skidding stop, its more like one sides wheels leave the axle and say bye bye. Not trying to scare you, just stating the facts. Get it weighed. If you are under 4000 pounds you might be ok but I am sure others might question even that weight.

As a note. Mine was a recall and was replaced by Toyota according to the previous owner.

I checked with Toyota & they said mine wasn't in any recall. I called a few places and got NO help at all trying to determine what axle I need. I checked with a couple of used parts places and got no solid info. Unless I can find a wrecked mini motorhome I don't know how to make sure I get the right axle. Any suggestion of a reliable source for a used axle?

Thanks for the input.

This document http://www.toyotamotorhomes.com/files/Axle_FAQ.pdf shows which is the good and bad. The axle you would look for I think would be from a 1988 and newer full floater. As long as its a full floater it will work. As for it beind a direct bolt up type of deal it could be but most lokely will need some type of fabrication. The drive shaft might have to be modified. Find a wrecking yard that can network to find an axle. You do not need a specific part number just a full floater. You might check with toyota on which years the axles were used as I am not sure they are still offered as an option with the new models.

I just bought a 87 Sunrader 4x4, it has the non-floating axle, but it has 6 lugs on the axle, then a adapter that only has 5 lugs. The original owner had an axle break on him,at 17,000 miles, and spun out on the highway, but did not roll. I would definitely get a floating axle. Dave, high in the Colorado mtns.

I have seen a few flatbeds with the dual axle...one recently was only $950. So they can be found if your patient.

Here's a link to a conversion kit for toyota axles...not sure exactly how much it beefs up the axle, but it might be worth looking into.

http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfoscomm/c...e94e732f58811aa

Conversion article

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/projects/ta...imate_axle_pt1/

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/projects/ta...imate_axle_pt2/

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/projects/ta...imate_axle_pt3/

Other info:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/reviews/fullfloater/

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/12...r_axle_upgrade/

Thanks for all the help. I have an auto dismantler searching for a floating axle for me. Looks like they are scarce but hopefully one will turn up. Does anybody know if the axle ratios are all the same?

I appreciate the links to the aftermarket conversions. I will check them out, definitely might be an option.

Thanks again.

Cyclist,

I think you made a wise choice. I'm new here today, so hadn't chimed in on this before.

In 1992, a year after I bought my used 4x4 Toyota custom RV, the pseudo-dually setup failed. It was bolt-on Arrowcraft extenders. All of the bolts sheared. The two right rear wheels decided to go their own way down the road.

Fortunately, I had been alert to the odd pre-separation noises. There were a couple of loud snaps, then some thumps like a flat tire. I had stopped the rig several times to investigate and not been able to see or feel anything wrong. As I started up from the last stop and turned left out of the parking area, the right rear wheels came off at a very slow speed. The rig just set itself down, clunk. No one was hurt. I cannot believe how lucky I am!

Repairs, first a temporary one and then a full Toyota dually axle, plus repairing damage to the side wall, cost about $4000 in 1992.

I've been happily adventuring in this repaired rig ever since.

Good luck and safe driving with your new axle!

Toyota4x4RV

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like you were indeed very lucky, of course, some of that was because you were paying attention!

The axle is installed but I am having trouble with getting all the wheels rounded up. Supposedly, today the wheels will arrive. It has been very difficult rounding up the parts but I am looking forward to actually being able to use the Toy. I have yet to take it anywhere but the shop! I will feel better about driving it when the new axle is finally installed.

Thanks for the input and it is good to know you have gotten so many good years of use from your motorhome.

• 3 weeks later...

I too had an experience with an axle. We drove around 3000 miles, speeds were terrible... 55mph tops down hill with wind at our back. We pulled into seattle and heard a squeek every rotation. Stopped and 2k later and the axle shafts replaced. Only for it to start up again 6000 miles later. The whole axle was not replaced... rather the axle shafts. Do it right the first time is my suggestion.