How to seal this seam?

WAdolph92

My 92 Dolphin had a dent in the aluminum above the far left rear running light. The seam below the light, joining the aluminum and the corrugated fiberglass, popped open at the bottom for a span of about 1.5 feet. I was able to pull the dent out (mostly, the aluminum has small dings and waves in spots), but the seem did not go back to flush with the fiberglass. 

What product do you recommend to rejoin them?  Something that is highly adhesive and double sided (tape of some sort)?  Is there such a thing?  I could just fill with lap sealant but it seems too wide a hole. 

thank you!

Julie

EB453D76-C391-444C-B6FC-B87F5BD25F51.jpeg

I think I would find some way to gain access from the back (ie from inside) to pack it out before sealing between the 2 panels. To seal? In the boating/marine world, if you don't want something to come off/apart, 3M #5200 is used. If you want it to come apart at some point, 3M #4200.

9 hours ago, Derek up North said:

I think I would find some way to gain access from the back (ie from inside) to pack it out before sealing between the 2 panels. To seal? In the boating/marine world, if you don't want something to come off/apart, 3M #5200 is used. If you want it to come apart at some point, 3M #4200.

It’s behind the shower. Seems like a huge project to take the shower out to get to it. 4200 seems like the way to go, assuming it would be best to allow for removal of the pane later. Not sure if I’m missing anything. 

Hard to see this exactly in the photo... But if the piece just below the seam is dented inward and it would be helpful to "pull it back out" (to lessen the gap before sealing), I would try drilling a very small diameter hole in the lower piece, just below the seam opening. Screw a sheet metal screw into that small hole, which then becomes a handy grab point for pliers to pull/pop that area back out. Afterwards, you'll remove the screw and seal the whole thing up, of course.

Just an idea! :)

O'reilly's and Auto Zone have loaner tools. Check for a slide hammer.

A pull every couple of inches will do a lot to bring things together. You can pull aluminum or steel, but not fiberglass.

8 hours ago, Ctgriffi said:

Hard to see this exactly in the photo... But if the piece just below the seam is dented inward and it would be helpful to "pull it back out" (to lessen the gap before sealing), I would try drilling a very small diameter hole in the lower piece, just below the seam opening. Screw a sheet metal screw into that small hole, which then becomes a handy grab point for pliers to pull/pop that area back out. Afterwards, you'll remove the screw and seal the whole thing up, of course.

7 hours ago, WME said:

O'reilly's and Auto Zone have loaner tools. Check for a slide hammer.

A pull every couple of inches will do a lot to bring things together. You can pull aluminum or steel, but not fiberglass.

Just an idea! :)

Thanks for the input from both.  I have already pulled the dents out as best I can.  There are a few smaller dings here and there but not affecting that gap.  The seam seems to want to remain bowed in the area.  It's as if it stayed in that position too long and doesn't want to go back without help.  I may borrow a slide hammer to be even more precise though.