Jump to content
TigersRreal

Is this really a Sunrader?

Recommended Posts

Hi there, does this look like a Sunrader anyone else has seen? I haven’t run across one with this layout- with the door in the back like this. Supposed to be a ‘78 Sunrader

Since my plan is to completely overhaul it I’d love some inspiration as far as layouts are concerned. 

I hope everyone is having a great day and putting in some good work on their projects or getting out in the wild- either way I don’t expect any responses here until Monday mid-morning rolls around hahaha!

-Neil

5397C609-9106-42B2-889F-F3BF344DE4B1.jpeg

4F10CE30-741E-4DD3-884E-925F8C51087A.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it's really a Sunrader. Based on the early truck campers. Nice back door has either regular door or the whole thing lifts and makes a shade area. Big opening so you can get larger items inside like a bike.

Linda S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What’s up Linda!? Thanks for commenting- I see you all over the forums here so it’s cool to get your expertise :)

In the last 30 mins here I’ve realized this rig will be quite a lot more work than just the interior. What with the rear axle needing a complete replacement due to it being a ‘foolie’, right? Plus whatever state the engine is in...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, linda s said:

Yes it's really a Sunrader. Based on the early truck campers. Nice back door has either regular door or the whole thing lifts and makes a shade area. Big opening so you can get larger items inside like a bike.

Linda S

What’s up Linda!? Thanks for commenting- I see you all over the forums here so it’s cool to get your expertise :)

In the last 30 mins here I’ve realized this rig will be quite a lot more work than just the interior. What with the rear axle needing a complete replacement due to it being a ‘foolie’, right? Plus whatever state the engine is in...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the smallest of the Sunraders. You can run it just fine on single rear wheels. A complete axle service with new bearings and axle shafts inspected. Then take the outside dually off. It should unscrew. If it's welded your going to need new wheels but it's a Toyota. They are available everywhere. Still a lot of work but plenty of Toyota Chinooks are still on the road with same era engines. Check the windows carefully. Big ones are very expensive to replace. Or just wait and find a newer one. Expect to pay 5 times the price though

Linda S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, linda s said:

This is the smallest of the Sunraders. You can run it just fine on single rear wheels. A complete axle service with new bearings and axle shafts inspected. Then take the outside dually off. It should unscrew. If it's welded your going to need new wheels but it's a Toyota. They are available everywhere. Still a lot of work but plenty of Toyota Chinooks are still on the road with same era engines. Check the windows carefully. Big ones are very expensive to replace. Or just wait and find a newer one. Expect to pay 5 times the price though

Linda S

Thanks Linda, that's great to know. Unfortunately, the windshield, the drivers' side sliding window, and the curved front plexi glass over the drives' side as well. Definitely in store for a big project but if she's mostly mechanically sound then I'm into it!

Neil S.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best of luck with your project! Lots of good help available here. Linda is an encyclopedia of Toyo MH info! You came to the right place! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, linda s said:

This is the smallest of the Sunraders. You can run it just fine on single rear wheels. A complete axle service with new bearings and axle shafts inspected. Then take the outside dually off. It should unscrew. If it's welded your going to need new wheels but it's a Toyota. They are available everywhere. Still a lot of work but plenty of Toyota Chinooks are still on the road with same era engines. Check the windows carefully. Big ones are very expensive to replace. Or just wait and find a newer one. Expect to pay 5 times the price though

Linda S

Hi Linda, if I take the outside dually off then I'd be left with one skinny wheel in the back - would it be a good idea to get an adapter made and new wheels?

18 minutes ago, Iflyfish said:

Best of luck with your project! Lots of good help available here. Linda is an encyclopedia of Toyo MH info! You came to the right place! 

Thank you much! I am definitely learning a ton by poking around reading old forums. 

Neil S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look at the skinny tires on one of those giant 5th wheels. But they run on them. The important thing is that they can carry the weight. 185r14 or 195r14 will carry the weight of your camper no problem. You might need to invest in a sway bar or Timbren system to make handling better. You could also just go with wider 15 inch wheels. Any adapter will make wheel bearings in the back off center again and cause the same problem the duallies did. Real Toyota wheels are available in 15" with the correct lug pattern

https://www.wheelstiresandmore.com/Toyota-Tacoma-2005_p-23501-steel-wheel-rim-15x6-69457.aspx?variantid=27434&ref=g-pla&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5Y3kBRDwARIsAEwloL7ACQ8rt1W_Hl6ZLj4OOSWc9BXyYokbBNATPKNq4M71NGMvtNxNMoUaApCLEALw_wcB

Linda S

Found the wider tire that would work for your rig. Not a lot to choose from. This might be the only 14 inch option

https://simpletire.com/maxxis-205-r14c-tl12458000-tires

It also comes in a 15 inch size if you should choose to go that route

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, linda s said:

Look at the skinny tires on one of those giant 5th wheels. But they run on them. The important thing is that they can carry the weight. 185r14 or 195r14 will carry the weight of your camper no problem. You might need to invest in a sway bar or Timbren system to make handling better. You could also just go with wider 15 inch wheels. Any adapter will make wheel bearings in the back off center again and cause the same problem the duallies did. Real Toyota wheels are available in 15" with the correct lug pattern

https://www.wheelstiresandmore.com/Toyota-Tacoma-2005_p-23501-steel-wheel-rim-15x6-69457.aspx?variantid=27434&ref=g-pla&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5Y3kBRDwARIsAEwloL7ACQ8rt1W_Hl6ZLj4OOSWc9BXyYokbBNATPKNq4M71NGMvtNxNMoUaApCLEALw_wcB

Linda S

Found the wider tire that would work for your rig. Not a lot to choose from. This might be the only 14 inch option

https://simpletire.com/maxxis-205-r14c-tl12458000-tires

It also comes in a 15 inch size if you should choose to go that route

Dang, Linda! Thank you! :) - I am still just hoping to buy this rig - a few hoops to jump through before that happens ie- drive 3 hours to check it out, get it towed to a nearby mechanic to asses and if I want to purchase it then the mechanic will need to make it road worthy - the owner says that it isn't making it up hills very well and dropping drastically in speed, thinks it might be a fuel filter or catalytic converter issue. I'll also have to replace the windshield before it goes out on the road.

Personally, I am looking forward to a project to take my mind off things right now :) I hope you're having such a great sunday, Linda!

-Neil S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is so funny! I just ran across this post. I am new to the forum and new to the Toyota motorhome fam. I actually purchased this exact rig just a couple days after your post was made. 

 

Update: It runs great! Makes it up hills just fine. Needed some new oil and other fluids under the hood, nothing major. I’ve gotten the windshield replaced and epoxied the curved front plexi glass window. I am also replacing the broken side window with plexi glass. Got to do some electrical work (some lights) and install a new vent/fan on top and she will be ready for a full interior remodel :)

F724EEAC-9A19-4119-929E-FA83ECE354CF.jpeg

8720D310-6C25-4C0E-9E3A-0BF200BBFAD6.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sunny78 said:

This is so funny! I just ran across this post. I am new to the forum and new to the Toyota motorhome fam. I actually purchased this exact rig just a couple days after your post was made. 

 

Update: It runs great! Makes it up hills just fine. Needed some new oil and other fluids under the hood, nothing major. I’ve gotten the windshield replaced and epoxied the curved front plexi glass window. I am also replacing the broken side window with plexi glass. Got to do some electrical work (some lights) and install a new vent/fan on top and she will be ready for a full interior remodel :)

Hey there Sunny - good on ya for getting to SC a day before me! I'm working on getting a different rig, a little more in-line with what I actually wanted  - so no hard feelins! 😛

How's that rear axle? Also, I am super curious about where you had to go to get it!? Also, did you have to tow it?

Dang... the jealousy is setting in now! Hahaha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TigersRreal,

 

The rear axle is in fine shape. From what I have read and understand, the recall did not affect the 17' model Sunrader because the weight was not heavy enough to cause the damage that many later rigs experienced. Eventually I will replace the axle (I will be doing a 4x4 swap in the future, so will be swapping both axles out then) currently the stock 5 lug axle is fine. I was able to drive it with the broken windshield down to a shop in santa cruz to get that fixed, and then took her all the way up to Tahoe. Ran like a champ the whole way. Just got her new 2020 tags yesterday, so we are all registered and legal! stoked!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"... because the weight was not heavy enough to cause the damage ..."

If you've read the Recall documents, you'll see that there was no mention of the length or weight of the motorhomes Recalled. Just that those fitted with foolies. So no mention of 17', 17.5' or 18' length being the 'cut-off' length.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sunny78 said:

TigersRreal,

 

The rear axle is in fine shape. From what I have read and understand, the recall did not affect the 17' model Sunrader because the weight was not heavy enough to cause the damage that many later rigs experienced. Eventually I will replace the axle (I will be doing a 4x4 swap in the future, so will be swapping both axles out then) currently the stock 5 lug axle is fine. I was able to drive it with the broken windshield down to a shop in santa cruz to get that fixed, and then took her all the way up to Tahoe. Ran like a champ the whole way. Just got her new 2020 tags yesterday, so we are all registered and legal! stoked!

If it has the non-floating axle using dulies it is a huge safety issue no matter what size the rig is. The situation is that the outside wheel because of it's distance from the bearing creates continuous flexing (via leverage) of the axle behind the hub at the bearing. Eventually the axle fatigues and breaks off and away goes your wheel assembly. Really high tire pressures aggravate the problem. Sometimes there might be some warning signs. Enough to start you thinking "something weird is going on". Then at 50 plus miles an hour on a curve! Unless the guy who checked your axle actually took it out and magniflexed it how do you know there are no microscopic cracks? If your set on keeping the axle you MUST remove the fake duals and replace with a single wheel. I don't think the above scenario can be classified as opinion anymore. The non-floating rear axles with the fake duals fail. Go to a scale, get the rear axle weight, go to a tire store with those numbers (don't forget cargo weight) and get rid of the fake duals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or you could just take the darn foolie off like I suggested. There was never a problem with the same length Dolphins that had a single wide tire in back. We have seen shorty Sunraders that had axles fail and they caused damage to the coach section. Better safe than stupid

Linda S

Oops Greg beat me to it. Listen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2017 at 2:01 PM, Derek up North said:

This is an 18' Sunrader. The owner thought she could 'get away with it'.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The recall makes no mention of length or weight being the problem. It was (and is) the foolies. :)

 

15726712_911097567863_7558610131401369900_n.jpg

15823287_911097582833_2395801456165428297_n.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the wise words guys and gals. I will look into removing the foolies then. I am replacing tires in the near future anyway so that would save some money if i only had to buy 4 instead of 6! Any tips or tricks when doing so? I haven't had the chance to dive underneath her too much yet so not sure what i'm getting myself into. Anything helps, thanks again!

 

Any threads that you guys could link that might have the process of removing fake duals would be super helpful!

Edited by Sunny78

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well most of them are just bolted together. You could also go to any wrecking yard and buy a couple of 5 lug Toyota wheels pretty cheap

Linda S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...