Sign in to follow this  
cjac

Wood replacment

Finally figured this out. Well my wife did. Lol

1512084927726615908223.jpg

9 hours ago, Derek up North said:

Standard issue this side of the border are Robertson heads.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.8x2-12-cedar-deck-screws---100-pieces.1000110863.html?autoSuggest=pip

I buy mind from a 'bulk' reseller at my local Flea Market. $5 for as many as he can grab with a (gloved) hand.

The pocket hole type screws are self drilling and flat to stop in bottom of hole to minimize splitting and I am guessing they are cheaper than deck screws. 

Besides the factory staples being a down and dirty cheap/fast way of building, another cheap out from the factory is the crap wood  used for the framework.  I replaced all the frame over the cab,  left side and rear due to Termites!!! using northern white cedar. Did I mention the floor?  Anyway, cedar doesn't rot and it's light. We glued and screwed  the frames to the fiberglass  skin, screwing  from the outside,  then removed the screws and filled the holes with epoxy. Used West epoxy to start while I could buy it wholesale from work and now use Basic No-Blush Epoxy from Progressive Epoxy on the web. They sell a winter epoxy  that kicks down to 30 degrees Fahrenheit. The wood I get from a local guy who has a kiln and buys it green, drys it, chops it up and sells it to decoy carvers on  the  net.  I get  2 x 8s or 3 Xs eight feet long  and table saw them to what ever size we need. Another "glue" is liquid nails that we used to glue the door skin ply onto the Styrofoam. Extreme  Liquid  Nails works down to 22 degrees  Fahrenheit.  BTW,  a polite Toyota  owner told me Dolphins have wood  frames but I didn't catch his meaning, having the "fever" real bad.

Edited by kg4toi
Spelling

After a weekend trip to Nashville and all day rain on Tuesday back to work. 

1512582133772639027749.jpg

Have the walls braced .  Time to remove the bunk floor. Need to clean it off first. Lol

1512584978440-1307159266.jpg

Starting to work on the bunk floor . Didn't do anything yesterday . Blood pressure was to high , all day at the doctors office. 

15127632078502003981484.jpg