1987 Mirage Front Window - plexiglass, and badly cracked.

Hi ya'll:

I have a 1987 Toyota Mirage that needs a front window...that impossibly curvy one in the front. The two side windows are fine. Any ideas? Does a replacement window exist, or will I need someone to fashion me one from scratch? Thank you for helping me; i'm a not very technically-inclined woman. I'm guessing it's made of Plexiglass. Definitely not glass.

Beth

Edited by BethieAnnie

Hi ya'll:

I have a 1987 Toyota Mirage that needs a front window...that impossibly curvy one in the front. The two side windows are fine. Any ideas? Does a replacement window exist, or will I need someone to fashion me one from scratch? Thank you for helping me; i'm a not very technically-inclined woman. I'm guessing it's made of Plexiglass. Definitely not glass.

Beth

Unfortunately no. It's a bubble type window and I have not been able to find anyone in this country making them. In the mean time I would put tape on the window to preserve it. If it's still intact you might be able to find someone willing to make a mold of it. I did have one guy on one of my other groups who said he made a side window for his but I haven't heard from him in a long time. Couldn't hurt to try calling every place near you that sells plexiglass and see if they know anyone who has the skills to do the job.

Linda S

If your the DIY type, I can tell you how to do it. I've made complicated forms with plexiglass, fairly easy to do.

Try this with small scrap pieces first.

Heat the plexiglass in your oven for 30 minutes or until it gets soft, . Start the temperature at 200, leave it there for about 15 minutes, then bring the temp up in 25 deg increments until the plastic is soft enough to form (leave it at each temp for about 15-20 minutes). You need to start it at the 200 and leave it there to allow moisture in the plastic to escape. If you raise the temp to high to fast, the moisture turns to steam, and you have a bazillion little bubbles inside the plastic.

With the soft plastic, there are a number of methods to get a bubble or bend.

Droop method. This would probably work for the two outside bubbles. The concept is, you build a frame (Kind of like a picture frame), attach a flat piece of plastic to the frame (The plastic is secured all the way around on the edges and is larger than your finished product. you then put the frame and plastic in the oven, Support the frame on the edges so when the plastic starts drooping, it wont hit the bottom of the oven, it will just be hanging there. Heat the plastic and as the plastic heats up, it will start drooping in the frame to form the bubble. When it looks like you have the correct droop (bubble) open the oven door and use a Windex bottle to spray mist water on the plastic to cool it, not to much, just enough to stop the droop. Take the plastic out of the oven, and use a dremal tool or die grinder to cut the plastic to the correct dimensions.

If that window has a metal frame, you could even use that frame as the droop frame. (no plastic or rubber parts on the frame), . cut the plastic so it lays in the frame, stick it in the oven and let it droop.

Simple one dimensional curve - Looks like this will work for the center window. Use a thin piece of sheet metal that's an inch or two larger than the old window.. Make a small wood frame that supports the sheet metal so its bent with the correct curve so it matches the old window. This doesn't need to be elaborate, the intent is to hold the sheet metal so it maintains the correct bend when you drop the hot plastic sheet on it. I would say orient the sheet metal so its high in the middle rather than low in the middle.

You can either put the entire sheet metal in the oven with the plastic resting on top. then it will droop down over the sheet metal when it gets hot, OR when the plastic gets soft, pull it out of the oven and drape it on the sheet metal form.

I've made a lot of plastic parts with these methods. Even made a large airplane canopy (6 ft long, 2ft wide, 18 inches deep) using the droop method (it drooped almost 18 inches) we made an oven out of sheet rock and use a salamander as the heat source.

Good luck, experiment with small pieces of plastic to get the feel for it. (maybe try 1/8 3/16 plastic)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 10 months later...

At Waiter, where can I find out more info on the droop method and making simple curves on plexiglass. I am very interested in the topic. Can you recommend a book?

Roy in Jax

Google "Forming Aircraft Canopies" I've made Canopies, and special plastic light covers, leading edge landing light covers, wing tip collision light covers, etc.

The key is don't heat the plastic to fast, as the moisture in the plexiglass will explode and fog up the glass. Experiment with small pieces first, and don't tell your wife what your doing with the oven.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

So no big danger from fumes? Also the problem of finding an oven big enough. One of the guys on my site used the ovens from a powder coater in the complex where he works to make his Mirage windows. I don't think I would want it my kitchen.

Linda S

I've made big boxes out of sheetrock and used a salamander as the heat source. worked great. Also - if the droop isn't enough, seal the bottom of the box, and hook a vacuum cleaner to the bottom, when the glass is hot and starting to droop, turn on the vacuum cleaner and it will suck the glass down. used this method to make large canopies.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto