If I see light at cabover corner is it delaminating?

wanderso

Hi there. New owner of a 91 Winnebago Warrior V6. At the cabover bed, if I press with my hand against the side wall near the upper left and right corner, it seems to me that a little bit of light appears. I can't see outside of course. The sidewall doesn't appear to be soft and I see no evidence of leaks that have bled down into any of the bed area. When I inspect the roof or side wall on the outside, I don' see any evidence of repairs and the caulking seems good, but it sure seems to me that this implies that the seam is loose. My theory is that by pressing on the wall, the sidewall might actually be moving into the seam area there is the vinyl inserts. This rig has spent almost all of its life stored in a barn when not in use, so it is possible that there is a pending "leak" that just hasn't manifested itself because it isn't parked outdoors. If so, I'd like to get on top of it. Should I be concerned? Do any others see this? Apologies - a newbie. See attached photo

post-5168-0-25906300-1306072476_thumb.jp

Thanks John. I agree. A few hours before I took a look at it to buy, another buyer had an RV tech come with them to review it and said that it all looks good. Of course it may have been a cursory inspection that might not have included this. I intend to look deeper at things this week to see what is going on to determine if there are any 'gotchas.' It could quite literally be some corner screws that have vibrated loose under the roof to side transition/moulding. I live in a place where ducks could drown in the street about 7 months out of the year so it's so important to keep things in tip-top shape. Any others with a similar year rig that has seen this issue?

Thanks John. I agree. A few hours before I took a look at it to buy, another buyer had an RV tech come with them to review it and said that it all looks good. Of course it may have been a cursory inspection that might not have included this. I intend to look deeper at things this week to see what is going on to determine if there are any 'gotchas.' It could quite literally be some corner screws that have vibrated loose under the roof to side transition/moulding. I live in a place where ducks could drown in the street about 7 months out of the year so it's so important to keep things in tip-top shape. Any others with a similar year rig that has seen this issue?

Here's a thought...

I see your are in Oregon, so join us at the ToyIn in Nanaimo (Vancouver Island) in a month and you can have several folks look at it and give you their (semi)professional opinions! I'm going to be there with my 1992 Winnebago Warrior WT321RL - identical model to yours. Check it out in the Rallies and Toy-Ins forum.

Here's a thought...

I see your are in Oregon, so join us at the ToyIn in Nanaimo (Vancouver Island) in a month and you can have several folks look at it and give you their (semi)professional opinions! I'm going to be there with my 1992 Winnebago Warrior WT321RL - identical model to yours. Check it out in the Rallies and Toy-Ins forum.

That sounds like fun - I'll see if it works out. We're gearing up for our first trip with the new rig in a couple weeks. I'm doing the more detailed mechanical inspection currently. So far so good. As an aside, I got confirmation back from Winnebago that these are indeed aluminum frame (and steel in certain places). They sent me the schematic. Also found the original sales brochure.

That sounds like fun - I'll see if it works out. We're gearing up for our first trip with the new rig in a couple weeks. I'm doing the more detailed mechanical inspection currently. So far so good. As an aside, I got confirmation back from Winnebago that these are indeed aluminum frame (and steel in certain places). They sent me the schematic. Also found the original sales brochure.

I've amassed quite a bit of documentation as well, so if you are looking for anything don't hesitate to ask - dayoff53@gmail.com.

I hope you can make it to Nanaimo next month! I think there are 7 or more rigs already committed and I know they collectively represent a lot of knowledge about these Toy homes!

You're lucky to have a Winnebago in that they're the only supplier still existing and supplying some support for our Toyotas. What sort of schematic was it the they sent? Wiring? Plumbing?

I agree. What is amazing in this case is that I simply asked Winnebago directly via e-mail and one of their techs sent me the diagram for how their sidewall is constructed from the original build plans. I've found a treasure trove of plumbing, electrical and other items just on their website.

Hi there. New owner of a 91 Winnebago Warrior V6. At the cabover bed, if I press with my hand against the side wall near the upper left and right corner, it seems to me that a little bit of light appears. I can't see outside of course. The sidewall doesn't appear to be soft and I see no evidence of leaks that have bled down into any of the bed area. When I inspect the roof or side wall on the outside, I don' see any evidence of repairs and the caulking seems good, but it sure seems to me that this implies that the seam is loose. My theory is that by pressing on the wall, the sidewall might actually be moving into the seam area there is the vinyl inserts. This rig has spent almost all of its life stored in a barn when not in use, so it is possible that there is a pending "leak" that just hasn't manifested itself because it isn't parked outdoors. If so, I'd like to get on top of it. Should I be concerned? Do any others see this? Apologies - a newbie. See attached photo

If everything is OK you should not be able to press on inside of the walls and have light shine through from the outside. Do the test at night and have someone hold a bright light outside with the lights off on the inside. Can you post some pics of the area where you are seeing this light? Also have someone be outside when you press on the wall to see if the wall bulges out.

Ok - so I finally got a chance to investigate this further. See the attached image. Light appears when you press on the top curved portion of the cabover. It does not appear when pressing on the sidewall. We had a horrible wind and rain storm over the past few days and no water enters the coach.

post-5168-0-78443900-1307024143_thumb.jp

If you can push that up with your finger and see light, then there is a serious problem there. Good chance the wall is also compromised. Most likely is because the roof appears to no longer be fastened to the wall. I think you have two choices, pull it all apart and fix it or get some elastomeric caulking and try to seal up everything along those edges until you can fix it properly. Do you have the same symptoms on both sides? Anyhow sorry to see that and sorry to be so blunt about it. Can you post a pic from the outside view with pushing up like you did in the last photo? A pic of the whole outside corner would help also.