Now that I have the new springs in that brought the ride height a little over Toyotas 11.6 reference height and a DOA timing chain kit installed ,now looking at a 5 speed.Does anyone out there have a 5 speed behind a R22 .I have a 1984 18 ft.Sunrader with empty weight of 4970 lbs.and 1 ton 6 lug floating rearend. aprox.4.1 to1.Will the R22 pull an OD .Looks like the drag wall is about 60 mph so fifth gear will be used at that speed.

As a reference point:

I converted our 85 21' Sunrader to a 5 speed (W52*) from an automatic last summer (4.5K miles on the conversion to date). It has a 22RE in it, 6 lug (probably 4.10), running 195R14 tires (i.e. 1/2" taller than 185R14), roof AC, and generator. When we go on vacation, it is loaded along with my wife and two teenage sons (I have never weighed it yet, I am just trying to say that it is heavy).

If we are on the freeway going >60mph, then it is always in 5th, unless we are passing or pulling up a hill. We have been putting a lot of miles on highway 5 here in California where the speed limit is 70 mph, and I will average the speed limit if it is not raining. It runs well at 70mph in 5th and saves about 500rpm over 4th. Note: I have speed parts on it (tri-y header (mid range power), a full 2.5" exhaust, a 2525 Aero Turbine muffler, MSD ignition, and a LC Engineering Pro Intake Tube). Your 18' Sunrader will be lighter, than our 21', so it might be similar without the speed parts.

I hope this helps.

*Picked it up on Craigslist for $75. I have read that a W55 or W56 (lower 1st and 2nd than W55) would be both stronger transmissions; however, it is working fine, and I am not racing it. Note: I need to update the RV/avator picture, since it does not have the roof AC on it.

Allen,

where / how did you come up with all the linkages, i.e. clutch pedals, cables, etc??

I'm thinking rather than do any major work on my Auto, I might convert to manual.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

The thing that makes the 5th speed more usable than the auto O/D is that 5th is a ~15% ratio vs ~30% with the automatic. No too low, not too high. "Just right!".

I'd say the best way to do the swap would be to try and find a 'same year' pickup to make sure you get all the parts needed. Use the parts, sell a few others and sell what's left for scrap. And if the donor happens to have SR5 instruments with a tach, you get a bonus. And maybe SR5 seats.

If the donor happened to be particularly 'nice', you could always reassemble it as an automatic and resell it!

All assuming you have the space, tolerant neighbours and an understanding wife!

Hi John,

I initially did what Derek said, I brought a 1985 long bed pickup as a donor vehicle. My plan was to swap transmissions and then sell it. However, when I got the truck home, my wife walked around it and said that it would be a good vehicle for our oldest son. Well, that was the end of that plan, but the truck was a valuable reference during the conversion!

Anyway, back to your original question on "where did I come up with all the linkages, i.e. clutch pedals, cables, etc.", I got them from the auto wreckers, specifically Pick-n-Pull.

Regards,

Allen

Note: Here is some more information on this topic - http://toyotamotorho...864 .

I actually want him to learn on a manual. He is not driving yet, probably next year. It probably worked out for the better, since I kept the console in the Sunrader (see picture below), and it would of been more work.

post-2114-0-56355000-1301304938_thumb.jp

I have an 88 Dolphin with a 22 RE with automatic that I may want to put a manual transmission into it.

What Toyota years would be good for donors. I assume almost any year that has a 22RE would be a candidate, i.e. 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ??????

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I have an 88 Dolphin with a 22 RE with automatic that I may want to put a manual transmission into it.

What Toyota years would be good for donors. I assume almost any year that has a 22RE would be a candidate, i.e. 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ??????

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I'd stay with the years that have the same body-style as yours... 1984 - 1988 for the pedal assembly, but the rest should all be the same so i would get as new as possible. 1995 I believe was the last year for the 22RE

Beyond the pedal assembly, I've no idea if the speedo would have to be swapped as well to end up with an accurate, working one. And, of course, with no more automatic you could swap radiators for a bit more engine cooling capacity. Something else to measure would be the driveshaft length. They might be different (as well as different flanges?).

The speedometer is the same. You will have to grab the speedometer cable, since it is different between the automatic and the manual. Regarding the speedometer accuracy, there is a speedometer gear in the tailshaft of the transmission that can be changed to either make it faster or slower. Regarding the driveshaft, it will have to be lengthened, as the automatic transmission is longer (the yoke is the same).

For reference, below is a list of the items that I had to procure for the conversion:

5 Speed Manual Transmission W52 (W55 or W56 stronger)

Manual Trans Speedometer Cable, Long Bed Manual Trans Crossmember Mount (Pick-n-Pull)

Shifter Knob & Shifter Boot Assembly (Pick-n-Pull)

RV Driveshaft Lengthened 3" (South Bay Driveline) (at least for my setup)

Transmission Mount (Kragen)

Labor Removing and Pressing On New Throwout Bearing (Machine Shop)

Master Clutch Cylinder Gasket (Toyota)

Pedals w/ Spring and Clutch Hydraulic Line Assembly w/ Bracket from 1984-88 Toyota Pickup Truck (Pick-n-Pull)

Clutch Master & Slave Cylinders (Kragen)

Assorted Nuts/Bolts/Washers<li>F1 STAGE 1 CLUTCH KIT&FLYWHEEL 84-88 TOYOTA PICKUP 2.4L (eBay)

#6 Speedometer Gear w/ 19 Teeth (Toyota) (at least for my setup)

I hope all this helps.

Regards,

Allen

I've been looking at C-List - Seems to be plenty of donors available for under $1000. What in the trans should be looked at if I'm able to put it up on the bench and tear it down?

I see a lot of 4 speeds, I think I would prefer a 5 speed, but is a 4 speed acceptable?

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto