We are looking to purchase a Toyota Motorhome. This looks like the place to be for these questions. Thank you for all of the information so far. I have done a lot of research on the Toyotas over the past year and am finally ready to purchase one. I really like this floorplan of the New Horizon as it looks more open without the back to the other dinette bench.

The exterior of this one is fiberglass. Are there any issues I should especially worry about with the fiberglass models? Does any one know if all the fiberglass models have the metal framing or are some wood? The tires will need to be replaced as they are old.

This motorhome is located out state from us. If we do purchase it we would be driving across 2 states to return home. What, besides the tires would you recommend getting checked out before our drive home? My concern is we only have a few days to purchase it and drive home. Most shops are about a week waiting to get in. Any suggestionson what you would have checked out before driving it?

Thanks for any info you may have,

Crystal

post-2728-1243006186_thumb.jpg

post-2728-1243006202_thumb.jpg

post-2728-1243006213_thumb.jpg

Edited by crystal72

The exterior of this one is fiberglass. Are there any issues I should especially worry about with the fiberglass models? Does any one know if all the fiberglass models have the metal framing or are some wood?
It's wood framing with occasional aluminum panels such as the roof. Unless it's been stored inside, or in the high desert, there will be evidence of moisture behind the fiberglass and aluminum skin. There's just no way around this. As the bumper sticker says, it happens.
This motorhome is located out state from us. If we do purchase it we would be driving across 2 states to return home. What, besides the tires would you recommend getting checked out before our drive home? My concern is we only have a few days to purchase it and drive home. Most shops are about a week waiting to get in. Any suggestionson what you would have checked out before driving?
If it has an automatic transmission, check the yoke (output shaft) at the extension housing (rear cone shaped part of the transmission) for ANY side to side play. Look for the telltale slinging pattern of transmission leaking from the yoke seal. Grasp the driveshaft and the U-joint clasest to the transmission firmly and shake it with all your might. If you feel it click and move around, it needs an extension housing bushing NOW. You can have one put in - takes about 1 hour and should cost about $100 and they DO NOT need to remove the transmission. Or you can drive it like I did and pay $1500 to get it rebuilt when you get home. The choice is, of course, yours. This small problem is VERY common and seems to happen between 50k and 70k miles. And this small problem will ruin a transmission in a fast hurry.

Check the fluids. Engine oil. Coolant. Power steering fluid. Brake fluid. Rear differential fluid. But most importantly, check the transmission fluid PROPERLY. This means start the engine-run it for 5 to 10 minutes, cycle slowly through P-R-D-2-1-2-D-R-P then check the level on the dipstick while the engine is runing and the vehicle is level. Do not overfill. Beware if it's low as this may indicate a leak. Beware if it's grossly overfilled as this indicates somebody knows it's leaking!

Have the charging system tested. If the charging isolator is bad (the splitter that directs the charging current to the front and rear batteries), the alternator will NOT CHARGE and will appear to be bad. DO NOT LEAVE TOWN ON A BATTERY THAT HAD TO BE JUMPSTARTED!!!!!!!! You will be sorry! Tell the seller to make sure the battery is fully charged and that means put a 6 or 10 amp battery charger on it for 24 hours.

Bring a set of 2 new 17 inch windshield wipers with you. On seasonal vehicles they tend to be so weathered and bad that you cannot see if it rains.

Bring a set of jumper cables.

Buy a 25 dollar 1/2" drive click set torque wrench at walmart in the automotive department to torque your lugnuts to 100-120 ft-lb and stop every 50 miles to re-torque them until they hold. On your first trip, they will loosen! I think you want a 24mm socket but I don't remember.

Check to see that the air bags are inflated or it will feel like it's about to fall apart.

After you purchase your MH, go to a hotel! Don't start a long journey at 5pm. And it will be a journey. There will be bugs you have to work out. And you need to go slow. Plan on averaging 50 MPH. Only use overdrive on level ground. Any hint of a hill and you'd better get out of overdrive. So get a good nights rest and leave at first light the NEXT DAY. Take your time and enjoy your maiden voyage.

Edited by Bodybagger