Roof dent repair

kg4toi

Our roof looks "crushed" in places from, I guess, people standing on it..93 Dolphin.No leaks, but something is going on... While browsing the u tube roof repair videos I noticed that people don't  use epoxy and cloth over plywood but seem to prefer  rubber membranes. As a life long boat builder (28 years living aboard 2 sailboats home built) and now a mechanic at a service yard, have I missed somethig? My kayak and canoe  are WEST boats and take a beating. We paint the epoxy/cloth layup to protect it from the sun..Also, has anyone taken off the aluminum trim and glassed the fiberglass  edges together..like a hull to deck joint? Newbie with a land yacht just asking. BTW, we are in the rig correcting  ourselves when we say port, starboard, galley, etc.

I think it's just a matter of skill. That epoxy glass mat lay up that's second nature to you is beyond the skill level of most do it yourselfers. Gluing down a sheet of rubber is easier and painting on a coat of EPDM easier still. Most people can paint. I don't know what you mean by crushed. maybe post some pics? I see no problem with fiberglassing your roof but be very certain there isn't any moisture hiding in between the panels. Sometimes water damage can be pretty invisible. Also make sure you don't fiberglass in your roof vents. They break and you need to be able to remove them to replace

Linda S

I'm  just guessing but...it looks like there is a framework in the roof..haven't  taken anything  apart yet and the room is depressed in areas 18 inches (ish) square in several places like the bow of an old WW2 Destroyer if you ever noticed...

. There is no visible A/C sag, but I don't  like a flat roof with 5 or 6 holes in it! And depressions that hold water. I would toss the old roof and build a new one...I retire (again) end of June and would rather go camping. So would  my wife!!!