22R engine 1981 Dolphin

Celeste

I recently purchased a 1981 Toyota dolphin with 40,000 miles on it. Taking it from Idaho to texas, avoiding moutains....carrying 12 wire crates with animals in back. Do you have any advice? Never driven an older vehicle this far and I'm not sure how strong the engine is. I've seen plenty of good comments about the 22re...but not the 22r...any advice would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Edited by Celeste

If its mechanically  sound its no big deal.

A warning if the windows are closed and you open a wind wing you can suck exhaust fumes in. So when possible leave the windows closed and run the fresh air blower at full speed.

16 hours ago, Celeste said:

Taking it from Idaho to texas, avoiding moutains....carrying 12 wire crates with animals in back. Do you have any advice? Never driven an older vehicle this far and I'm not sure how strong the engine is. I've seen plenty of good comments about the 22re...but not the 22r...any advice would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Congratulations!  

You've no doubt planned for a *thorough* inspection by a good shop, have good tires & long distance tow coverage!  

It's likely I may end up, like you, driving an old Toy some distance on its' maiden voyage home, with my hound along.  At the very least I expect white knuckles. 

My daily driver is an '82 Toy pickup with the 22R.  It's been bulletproof for me since I bought it new.  

Please let us know the details/outcome of your journey.  I may be facing the same scenario & trying to figure out ahead of time just how to handle it.

Good luck!