New toy owner needs advice

TRAVELING MAN

Have recently purchased a 1987 Toyota See Breeze as our first motorhome and need following advice as well as any other helpful tips you can think of for first time RV'ers.

1) cruise control will not come on (no display) nor engage. Cruise control lever is on a stick on left side of steering wheel behind the lights controller.

2) what material is roof made of and suggested maintenance of roof and other parts of motorhome/truck?

3) recommendations for using a hitch mount motor cycle ramp/carrier for a 400 pounds honda scooter.

4) can i use a 12v lawn mower battery as the house battery safely connected to engine alternator ( will use only for interior lights and informational monitor instrument panel on wall )?

5) what items can be carried on rooftop area?

6) what is a reasonable speed to travel on level interstate hwy? What should be expected mpg avg for various hwy speeds?

7) what is a good way of finding good mechanics for truck and camper?

8) any better over the cab mattress options than the cushions? What are original cushions life expectancy?

9) does the sofa use the back cushion in making a larger bed and how? (bottom cushion appears fixed and unmoveable

10) what is a good local stations over the air HDTV antenna to use when parked at RV campsite?

11) any other good use of shower other than a installing a rod to hang clothes

Thanks for taking time to share your ideas and experiece

WELCOME TO THE TOYA WORLD. SOME ADDITIONAL INFO NEEDED TO HELP WITH SOME QUESTIONS, I.E. , WHAT ENGINE DOES IT HAVE ?  THERE ARE A LOT OF VARIABLES REGARDING MPG, HIGHWAY SPEED ETC. I AM SURE YOU'LL BE OFFERED GOOD ADVICE AND SUGGESTIONS BY ALL THE FOLKS HERE THAT ARE FAR MORE KNOWLEDGEABLE THAN MYSELF. GOOD LUCK. JOE FROM DOVER

16 hours ago, TAVELING MAN said:

Have recently purchased a 1987 Toyota See Breeze as our first motorhome and need following advice as well as any other helpful tips you can think of for first time RV'ers.

1) cruise control will not come on (no display) nor engage. Cruise control lever is on a stick on left side of steering wheel behind the lights controller.

Could be dead. Check the fuse. Many possibilities, bad switch on stick, wiring harness plug apart. Even when you get it working you will find that the 22re does not have enough power for overdrive.

2) what material is roof made of and suggested maintenance of roof and other parts of motorhome/truck?

Roofs come in two flavors, metal (aluminum) and rubber. Metal can get small corrosion holes which will siphon water in. Rubber can get splits, tears etc. Both can be coated with a rubber membrane. For the metal Home depot and Lowes both carry products which can coat metal roofs and seal them. Rubber roofs need a specific coating made for the type of rubber roof it is. 

3) recommendations for using a hitch mount motor cycle ramp/carrier for a 400 pounds honda scooter.

The extended frames for these coaches were not built to support that type of weight. It is possible to strengthen the assembly but you should go to a metal welding shop for advice. 400 hundred pounds becomes 900 with the leverage hanging behind the bumper especially when you hit a bab bump etc.

4) can i use a 12v lawn mower battery as the house battery safely connected to engine alternator ( will use only for interior lights and informational monitor instrument panel on wall )?

You should already have a battery compartment that should accommodate a deep cycle battery. It would have originally been wired to your alternator through a switch called an isolator. The switch only connected the two systems together when the ignition switch is in the run position. No matter what you do for a coach battery you need an isolator switc.

5) what items can be carried on rooftop area?

Very light weight stuff. Whatever is carried the items should be in a mounted rack so that the items do not move around directly on the roof itself and cause leaks.

6) what is a reasonable speed to travel on level interstate hwy? What should be expected mpg avg for various hwy speeds?

MPG is a huge variable, head winds, tail winds, speed, engine tuning and condition. Reasonable speed is another variable. What shape is your suspension. Does it drive like a boat or like a sports car. You can drive 100 mph in a straight line. Swerve for some reason with mushy suspension and control becomes a huge issue. Like out of control. You should be able to drive the speed limit with good suspension.

7) what is a good way of finding good mechanics for truck and camper?

The truck is a Toyota pickup. Nothing special about it. So look for a reputable Toyota mechanic. The coach is a recreational vehicle. Even though it is on a Toyota chassis it is the same as a dodge, or a trailer of the era. Google rv repair near you then look for reviews.

8) any better over the cab mattress options than the cushions? What are original cushions life expectancy?

Yes, search for foam sales online. Can't remember the company I bought my from. But they had several flavor of density. I did my mattress, couch and cushions. Just sent them the measurements and the shipped it out. Foam as I understand it has a life span of around 16 years. Installing the new though was a challenge. When done though I was no longer sitting on the plywood.

9) does the sofa use the back cushion in making a larger bed and how? (bottom cushion appears fixed and unmoveable

Post a picture

10) what is a good local stations over the air HDTV antenna to use when parked at RV campsite?

Google is your friend!

11) any other good use of shower other than a installing a rod to hang clothes

That sounds good, some even put in some shelving. 

Thanks for taking time to share your ideas and experiece

Welcome to the discussion board!