Hey Guys,

I am trying to replace the original Toyotoa Steering Stabelizer Shock. The top bolt released very easily because it has great clearence.

The bottom bolt however will not budge. It has been sprayed and hit and twisted etc. for about an hour now and will not budge. I can't get much hammer/leverage to hit because of the close frame.

ANY TIPS HERE????

Here are pics of mine so you can see what I am dealing with.

Original Part # is 45700-35030 U-B-3 Tokico. Do you know the replacement number off hand?

Thanks,

Pager

Arkansas

post-1069-1205707848_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1205707859_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1205707866_thumb.jpg

Head down to your local parts store and buy your self a tie rod fork. It’s a tool that looks like a two prong fork that you hit the end with a hammer the forks are tapered and they force against the shock joint and the drag link. It’s a one shot deal and should not be used on some thing you intend to reuse because they generally damage the rubber boot. Make sure it’s for a tie rod and not a ball joint (they are larger) no need to buy the fancy one just a cheapy will do fine.

I just went out and looked at mine even if you can't get the nut off you could cut it off with a die grinder / maybe a hacksaw ,your going to replace it anyway,(I'm looking at the end that connects with a tab to the frame).

Maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks guys! Will do tomorrow.

So all I have to do is put the fork between the shock and the bar and tap with a hammer until the whole assembly comes out?

Will this mess us the alignment on the front end?

I have not taken any other bolts apart.

Thanks,

Pager,

Arkansas

Nope will not effect your alignment. The ball end that fits through the drag link is tapered sort of like a wedge and fits pretty tight as the nut pulls it very hard into the link. Tie rods, ball joints are the same way keeps them from turning inside of the hole.

Hey there Maineah and ShopRat,

That Tie Rod Fork/ Pickle Fork worked great. Hit it about 10 times and the old part popped right off.

Replaced it with a Monroe SC2914 (22-1942-0) Steering Stabilizer.

The original part number did not match anything, anywhere!

The new Monroe bolted-up perfectly. Test Run is Wednesday!

Thanks again for the advice and the information to help me get ready for my 13 Day Yellowstone Trip in June.

Pager

Arkansas

post-1069-1205806904_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1205806911_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1205806919_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1205806926_thumb.jpg

If you are not sure of the shock please try to turn the steering wheel both ways and make sure the wheels turn all the way to the stops before you drive it not all steering shocks are the same lengths and you may come up short on your turning radius! If they do you are smiling and it should work fine for you.

Hey there Maineah,

The shock measured 1/4" longer at "fully extended" than the original damper shock.

I turned the wheels and they went all the way to the stops.

The Stops: can you get replacement rubbers for the ends of the stops? mine are cracked in half and I noticed where the stops had been rubbed before quite a bit.

Thanks again for the help!

Pager

Arkansas