Suggestions for fix?

fire362

I have some projects for this Sunrader and was hoping for some suggestions from people that may have done this before. I have found a cabinet that seems to be the right side that goes on the outside of the propane tank on e-bay. Closing in 4 hours and has several. The inside not sure. the floor seems fine and was told that the rear window was replaced so might have some water damage around it.

Thank you,

Ken

1986 Toyota Sunrader 4X4

post-1108-1205020178_thumb.jpg

post-1108-1205020207_thumb.jpg

post-1108-1205020250_thumb.jpg

Sorry Fire.

I read your post but I have NO idea on how to deal with your problem. Rather than clutter up the site with ignorant speculation( which is my specialty), I stayed silent.

I will now go back to scratching flea bites and stacking BBs in the corner( also my specialty)

Hope someone can help ya out.

Thanks Shoprat. You funny man.

Thinking to sand the inside and repaint and to make sure all seals around rear window good. As far as the outside goes I never tried to work with fiberglass but heck it can't look any worse than it does now so I'll give er a go.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...
I have some projects for this Sunrader and was hoping for some suggestions from people that may have done this before. I have found a cabinet that seems to be the right side that goes on the outside of the propane tank on e-bay. Closing in 4 hours and has several. The inside not sure. the floor seems fine and was told that the rear window was replaced so might have some water damage around it.

Thank you,

Ken

1986 Toyota Sunrader 4X4

Hey Fireman,

Not sure if you've taken the plunge yet or not....but, while I have not done fiberglass work on my rader, I have done my share of smaller 'glass projects. I will be doing reinforcing inside mine (18') while it is empty and have by far gotten my best info from boat repair guys in my area. (N. Bay) Also, I picked up a book that's been very informative, (but not so cheap - $25.00 ) The title is "The fiberglass repair and construction handbook" by Jack Wiley. Got mine at Tap Plastics but you can probably do better on price. If you have no experience with fiberglass, it's pretty much common sense stuff, but I would experiment a bit before going after the tough stuff. It looks like you have back interior panel replacement in your future anyway, you might take the time to do the repair / reinforcement while the old wet rotted panel is out, before you replace with new Luan. Or, if you are well-heeled, you can easily get an auto body guy to fix that rear quarter panel for you I think.

Good Luck,

ToyoGuy

I've done a lot of fiberglass vent door replacements (taking the vents out and glassing the hole closed). I'm on dialup and those pictures are too big to load so can't really see them.

First off fiberglass resin is very toxic, DO NOT breath it! Wear a charcoal respirator like car panters wear and thick rubber gloves.

I cut out of 2oz fiberglass mat (same as the raders made of) 3 layers thick, little bigger then my hole size I want to fill, car wax a sheet of melamine and brush on a coat of resin on to the melamine, put a piece of glass on, little more resin. Then take the brush and poke at it tell you see no more white cloth (till resin is soaked in to glass), and repeat with the 2 other pieces of glass. Then cut the panel to fit in to the hole. Tape the panel on the from the outside (if big, stick with bondo to hold in place) Cut some strips of glass, brush the resin on the inside of the wall/panel (ext.) and lay the stripped on, poke at it with the brush to soak. Then the out side, if small just bondo and sand, bigger not sure yet? My Dad had a biz doing fiberglass and told me this way to do it. Works good.