My New 89 Dolphin with LOTS of paperwork

jmh139

I just purchased a 89 Toyota Dolphin 21' from Craigslist. It is an automatic, 6 cyl with 58K miles. It is in overall very good shape, but has some water damaged wood that will have to be replaced. Everything in the camper works (which is just amazing to me). All the interior is in great shape with the exception of the water damage on the front, by the door and window.

It came with every manual and document you can imagine. I even have the original 89 color pamphlet that Toyota handed out as advertising for the camper. I checked the documents section, but am unsure if any of this documentation could be of use. I could scan it in a post it if needed. I have a manual for every appliance from the water heater to the antenna and everything in between.

Post here if anyone needs a manual and I will scan and upload it. I look forward to reading everthing here to help me get my Dolphin to 100%

Here is a pic:

post-1438-1204773480_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

thats an unbelievable deal!

great score...

I BELIEVE IN THE POWERS OF CRAIGSLIST!

I got my 1983 dolphin on craigslist but i had to throw in a ford f150 and nearly what you paid... yours is much newer and lower miles...

I have been repairing at least one thing a day since i got it... lots of fun.... but i live in a condo parking is very tight here... people already frowned on my ford f150 and next thing you know, I leave with the ford and come home with a 21ft toyota camper back it in the parking spot up to my porch and shore the power up to an outlet by my front door...

MY NEIGHBORS LOVE ME (not)

so my "renovation" is very low key and clandestine until i get it properly tagged and insured...

do me a favor and post more pics of the 89 dolphin and how you repair the water damage...

I am kinda nervous to rip all the cabinets out of mine to get to the ceiling panels... but its gotta be done soon!

We have been working on the 89 Dolphin for a month now, every day. I am almost done with it. I think it is going to be one of the nicest ones out there when I get through. I'll post before, during, and after pics soon.

So far we have:

removed and replaced all rotted wood

resealed the roof with eternabond

replaced all roof vents

took the carpet out and replaced with stick-on vinyl floor (looks great)

removed and resealed all windows, vents and doors

new curtains

new Xantrex power converter from bestconverter.com (mine still worked, but I did not trust it)

new Xantrex 1000 watt converter from Costco

added a 15" LCD TV and DVD player

changed the oil and fan belts

replaced the dump valves

and much more I cannot think of right now!

Out first outing is this Saturday!

My neighbors turned me into my neighboorhood group for the RV being in my yard, but as long as I have mine on concrete, I am OK. I was a bit worried for a day or so...

LOL

why are neighbors such idiots? everyone at my condo is so passively aggressive about my toy dolphin.... i think they are just jealous they didnt get one first...

they all want to believe i am just going to use it for a quick vacation and then return it...

little do they know i have already gutted the cab-over in prep for a long due water damage renovation...

just wait until i break out the power tools... !

i would have sooner drove my ford f150 (what i traded for my toyota) through my neighbors front window than to get rid of my dolphin which fits snug in a parking spot, just to appease a bunch of nosy neighbors...

ok the more i type the madder i get...

Instead of renewing the registration on the Rover I purchased a super cool camo tarp and covered it for 2 years so that they could enjoy looking at it. The complaining neighbor came over and offered to buy me a new custom car cover or to pay for my registration to get rid of the camo tarp. I told him that was "very neighborly" of him but I declined his offer.... I have not heard a peep from them since this..... LOL

Ha I told my wife if I hear from the neighbors again, I was going to get out my blue tarp and hang it down the side and write "Legally Parked RV" on the side.

First off, JMH139 That is a Super Deal! We paid $6,500 for ours (same make and model) and had to fly down to San Diego to pick it up last year. (And we thought we got it cheep!) I would love to see the original 89 color pamphlet that Toyota handed out as advertising for the camper if you have time. – Thank you

handaferguson@gmail.com

Someone reported our parking to the city as blocking the view so we were told we would have to move it… Even the officer involved thought it was stupid… But the law does state that it must be 3 feet from the property line… So we had to do the only thing we could… move it onto the street where it is a huge obstacle to get around (we have a boulevard of trees on the other side of the one way street so it is narrow) but it is legal? (We since moved it to a storage lot so the garbage trucks don’t take it out once a week)

Here is a picture of it parked in the driveway, notice the hedges behind it…

100_2954.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to making a before/during/after web page for the Dolphin. It is not much, just a bunch of pictures taken on order of repair. Maybe it will help someone. We are done now, and just had our first real trip to the beach. Everything was great.

http://www.leagh.com/89toyotadolphin

Click on the thumbnail for a larger view.

Jay