Transmission cooler

fire362

Spoke to a buddy of mine who is a mechanic about putting on a transmission cooler on. He said he would have to look where to put one on and asked me to ask you pro's out there with experience on this where they put them. Can you give me some pics?

Also spoke to him about changing the trans. fluid. He said that I would have to loosen the pan and it makes a mess, but suggested to when taking it out to put a drain plug in it to make it easier next time.

Thanks, Ken

Most of the trans cooler kits have fittings, a cooler and mounting hardware. Just about any of the parts stores have them by many different names. They are very easy to install some have a long plastic device that looks like a nail that goes thru the cooler and the radiator and a plastic washer slides over it and locks in place sort of like a zip tie. I have even put the coolers on the engine side of the radiator when there was a lack of room between the grill and the radiator. This really is an easy job and worth every cent in the life of the transmission. My Nova Star came with an extra cooler however I intend to remove it and install a larger one as soon as I can find my motor home I think it is that big lump under the snow.

The A43D automatics have a drain plug on the tranny oil pan. The first time I would drain the Pan and remove it. You should find a round Magnet stuck to the inside bottom of the Pan. Clean it (that also shows how much steel has been shed from tranny internal parts) and the Pan. I would also replace the Filter (really just a fine mesh screen) this once. Filter and Pan Gasket come packaged together (less than $15 if I remember correctly).

Our Transmission Oil Cooler is about 2/3 the size of the Radiator and is secured to the A/C Condenser (in front of the Rad) by those plastic gizmos already mentioned. I'm surprised your Toy MH doesn't already have a Cooler.

Lew

SKP #100106

Hotel Dolphin-400 nights and 50,000Mi in 4Yrs

http://traveldolphin.blogspot.com/

'86 21Ft RB Dolphin, 22RE, A43D, One Ton Rear Axle

5960LB rolling on P195/70R14 Load Range "B" tires

Kyocera 125W Solar, Solar Boost 2000E MPPT Controller

Lifeline Grp27 AGM

Atwood 7916II, Dometic 2410, Insinkerator 2.5Gal 1500W WtrHtr

Rear mount 8KBtu 10.8EER Frigidaire A/C

Permanent Macerator Sewage Pump (no Stinky Slinky for us!)

Rostra Servo-Motor Actuated Cruise Control

Sprint Sierra Aircard 595 in an IBM ThinkPad R52

Cyfre Dual-Band Cellphone/Aircard Amplifier

I have A/C and the first one I bought was too big. On my 86 turbo I can not get a cooler in front of the A/C cooler as there was not enough room between the grill so I bought a smaller one and had to put it to the side. I also have a temp gauge installed in the line. As an option I know there is a unit that will mount on the frame rail and has a cooling fan. Do you know what transmission you have? Here is a link to a site which has a lot of info on the Toyota 4x4 http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/faq/parts/

Our '86 has no clearance issues in front of the Rad. When the weather gets a little better I will take a PIC and we can maybe figure out why some have room and some don't. Everything should be the same between two '86 cabs, Eh? Oh, one possible difference might be that our Dash A/C is Toyota Factory. Maybe some Condensers are thicker than others??

Lew