YOU got off easy.  Your rear is not rusty like many I've worked on.  

Every one I have ever taken apart had the bearings soaked with gear-oil.  It's better then grease so not something to worry about.  If it leaks into there - it has to be coming past that little seal that rides on the axle shaft.  Toyota/Dyna FF rears and the ones used in Nissans are the only ones I've ever seen that made an attempt to separate gear-oil in the differential reservoir from the end axle bearings.  Why they bother is beyond me.  Grease is just 30 weight oil suspended in clay or lithium soap.   90W gear oil is also just 30-40 weight oil but it certainly flows better then oil in clay or soap.  I've thought about leaving the seal out but seems the oil-fill/check plug is not at the correct height in the center-section for the oil to be allowed to flow freely into the ends.  That being said, I've seen one that was assembled with those little seals left out and it worked fine as far as I know.

Ya I am lucky, this truck is from Las Vegas so not a spec of rust on her when I got it, Ive not been so kind to her, lots of coastal frolicking!

OK I am looking at replacing these drum shoes, so many springs! I feel like I am going to jack something up here

12 minutes ago, defrag4 said:

Ya I am lucky, this truck is from Las Vegas so not a spec of rust on her when I got it, Ive not been so kind to her, lots of coastal frolicking!

OK I am looking at replacing these drum shoes, so many springs! I feel like I am going to jack something up here

Having a print-out of a photograph of what it looks like before you take it apart helps a lot!   Also - I suggest you get your hands on some simple drum-brake tools.  A good set of brake-spring pliers are almost a must.  The two in these images are what you ought to have.  Note - NAPA is expensive.  If you buy tools and can't way to get them on-line - Autozone is usually cheaper.

Image7.jpg

Image8.jpg

thanks, I had to go pick up one of those brake spring tools, screwed with them for about 2 hours before giving up, going 5 mins to the store and spending $6. Im an idiot

Got one side done, will do the other tomorrow, should go much faster now that I know what I am doing (somewhat lol...)

when you put the new brake shoes on taper the leading and trailing edges with some sandpaper, lots of times people put on new shoes and get noise afterwords due to the angle on the shoes.

don't forget to fill your diff up with oil ;-p

Also for pinpointing bearing noises use a long screw driver like a stethoscope.

Don't forget the shoes are not exactly the same and can be easily mixed up.  Toyota uses a "Simplex" brake design with one trailing-shoe and one leading-shoe.  Trailing-shoe usually has less brake lining.

Image6.jpg

Anyone have a clue on a part number for the paper gasket on the hub? Also the paper gasket on the diff?

If they dont have them in stock locally I will just use some black RTV instead

borked up the paper diff gasket, so just trashed it and ran a fat bead of black RTV around the diff housing.

got the diff up in there now, man that thing is heavy and akward to wrestle up there by yourself!!

Waiting on the RTV to cure up and then I will snug it down and start re-assembling the axles. Hopefully be rollin in a few hours!

11 hours ago, Jaunt said:

There is a preload which is pretty important iirc. 

i did it hillbilly style, snug it up, spin the hub a few times, snug it up, spin it, loosen it back, hand tighten and about 1/4 turn past, seems ok we shal see if it burns up later

12 hours ago, notsobigkahuna said:

I've been lurking on this thread. What's the actual $ benefit of this upgrade? What toyotas have these rear ends?

thanks

kahuna in Kanada 

supposed to give you better low end grunt and set you in the sweet spot for highway cruising, right now the tranny hunts between 3 and 4 trying to pick a gear quite often

can use diffs out of pickups and 4runners

17 hours ago, defrag4 said:

Any idea on rear bearing preload? Or just snug it up?

Zero preload and zero end-play is perfect.  Hard to get perfection since the adjuster-nut does not work with infinite adjustments. Usually tighten TOO tight so you know the bearings are seated.  Then back off until you can fell just a little end-play.  Then tighten until it just gets to no play and do not go past.  Brand new bearings are usually installed with slight preload and used bearings with zero.

9 hours ago, defrag4 said:

i did it hillbilly style, snug it up, spin the hub a few times, snug it up, spin it, loosen it back, hand tighten and about 1/4 turn past, seems ok we shal see if it burns up later

probably be aight :ThumbUp:

Got it all buttoned up and back on the road, hit the mountain roads here in Montana and she is running great, seems I can smoothly cruise at ~65 now where before I would struggle. She also isn't struggling as much to climb up the steep passes! I dig it!! Best of all, no more death howl from the rear end!

Looks like I may have messed up the brake install or the bearings one side, one hub is significantly warmer than the other side. Will take it apart again at my next destination and inspect. 

awesome man... seems like a very worthy upgrade for sure!

Is it getting cold up there?  Been dipping into the 40's here the past few nights... been cranking that heater every morning.