Proud new owner

TexasToy

We have a new to us 1992 21 ft. Toyota Winnebago and are looking forward to any advise that anyone can give us starting out. We are new to the RV world but not new to Toyota,love them.I have a few questions to start off with, Is there anything about the Toyota that a new person should know. recalls ect. and also are there any upgrades that are a must. It is a 1 ton with a 6cyl. automatic. no gen. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats. Have heard that auto trans. need tlc so if it has over 100,000 you might want to get it "flushed". I'm checking it out myself. Mine has 107,000.

Hey guys,

Where would this trany cooler be located? I have a warning light on the dashboard that has been added aftermarket. So I think I have one.

Do they need serviced? How do you tell if they are working properly?

Thanks,

Kevin

Arkansas

Great ideal to add a cooler. I worked for many years in a transmission shop and we put coolers on every motor home trans we rebuilt. Most did not come with one, only the stock radiator cooler. I all ways thought it interesting to cool some thing with hot water but what do I know. Bottom line, add a cooler. If you are a good DYI person it’s an easy job. They used to come in two different sizes if you have room use the biggest one you can.

It has about 65,000 on it. Its missing the deep cycle batt. and has a bunch of wires in its place,any risk of a short? How does everything hook up.will anything not work unless I have one.Thanks.

Be careful with flushing the tranny, most mech. will make you sign a waiver that if anything happens to your tranny after the fact they are not responsible.I remember something like the gunk in the trans doesnt all come out and can clog up your lines.Just replace your filter and put some new fluid in.

Howdy Texas.

In regards to your battery query, yes, there is a chance of a short with the wires just dangling. The coach/ deep cycle battery is charged by the alternator when your driving down the road. If you hit a bump, there is a possiblity that the positive/ charging wire to the battery will hit ground, causing a short. Most of the comfort units( fridge, furnace, lights, water heater) work off of the 12 volt battery source in one way or another. Plugging in at an ac source will allow you to use these units without the battery present, but if you want to camp hook-upless, you should have a battery. That is , unless you really wanna rough it and do without the niceties. And besides, dangling wires or even the thought of dangling wires gives me the creepy-crawlies. Makes me want to gently move someone aside while I attack with my trusty cable ties, wire hangers, and electricial tape.

Danglin' wires-ewwwwww. Now I gotta bleach my brain to get rid of the image !

Well I really did not want to get in the middle of the trans fluid dilemma but I would not flush it. I am afraid you’ll be rebuilding the trans with in 2 weeks. New fluid is highly detergent and it will clean the stuff right off the clutch plates they are kinda protected by the material that is on them. If it has been changed right along its ok but to do it for the first time with high mileage is asking for trouble.

Yall will be happy to know that I no longer have a birds nest of wires underneath my Warrior.I have installed a new batt. and 30&40 amp breakers, all safe and snug. New K&N air filter,oil change and belts. :weight_lift: The trans is next.Just an oil change and filter.The only thing I have left after that is to have someone check my propane lines for leaks.Thanks to yall, everyday we are learning more about the RV. Thanks and keep up the posts.Almost forgot, is there any place in Tx that Toyota RVers meet?

I have the same unit as yours,ever time I change oil I do both eng&Trans you only get out about 2 1/2 qts (trans)it holds a lot more,my toyota parts guy says that the filter is wire mesh and hard to get to he didn't think it was nessary.So I call it refreshing it.Also it has a extra Cooler that is a factory item,I've thought about a temp gauge (trans) but then again maybe I don't wan't to know!!

If you have the older style 100 to 12v inverter, get the upgrade kit. It's usually a Parallax and runs about $200. It does a much better job of maintaining the coach battery. Also the older inverter output will not charge cell phones and is generally not good for electronic equipment.

If you do a lot of winter boon docking, think about the kit that allows you to hook external spare propane tanks. It's a bit of a pain to install on the location of the Winny tank but worth it. I keep a spare 5 gallon tank under the dinette.