I just bought a 1981 Toyota Odyssey motorhome in pretty rough condition. The engine runs strong for about 5 minutes or 30-40mph and then loses power and stalls out. 

I have replaced the voltage regulator, spark plugs, fuel pump, fuel filter, and had a mechanic rebuild and adjust the carburetor. It continues to do the same thing. 

It was on empty when I got it and started the stalling on the way to the station. I put in 15 gallons and added some Heat in case there was any water in the lines. 

It is 90 miles from my moms house (in Idaho) where I can store it for winter if necessary. It will cost $500 to have it hauled over. I'd rather not spend $500 on towing it and still have to find the problem later. I need to get it the 80 miles (over a steep pass) ASAP because I need to get home to New Mexico. 

My family has suggested it might be the coil. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

You have to determine if its fuel starvation or lack of spark causing the engine to stall.

There are so many different things that could be causing this to happen. It's difficult to diagnose on this thread.

Did the mechanic that rebuilt your carb have any suggestions?

The carbs on these engines are pretty complicated. How much experience did he/she have with old Toyotas?

As far as getting it back to your moms house goes, if you have AAA+ you could upgrade to RV coverage. There is a 5 day wait, but then your good to go.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same problem with the 80 Huntsman when I got it...  I took a can or carb choke cleaner I get at the Dollar General store and sprayed the carb and the choke down several times but what ever was stuck,,, I think the choke ,,,  and the beast started to run OK...