1976 Toyota Chinook Newbie

ambercaye

Hello all!

I recently purchased a 1976 Toyota Chinook from out in Wisconsin. Drives like a beaut, all original interior with the added bonuses such as the 110 volt system, 3 way fridge, gas heater and the sleeping bunks, but has some things that need to be addressed specifically on the exterior. Such as window gaskets, a new windshield, new paint job, a rust spot here and there. We would also like to renovate the interior too (very ambitious, I know) more cosmetic things, not gutting or stripping, just painting and new cushion covers. 

I have a few questions of course, because you all are the best of the best and very knowledgable :)

- We would eventually like to add a solar panel or two to the roof, is this plausible? 

- We currently have the original 3-way Dometic Fridge, we would like to swap it for something more efficient. What do you guys have? 

- Is it possible to add roof racks or something for maximum storage of kayaks or bikes? I know the roof is fiberglass, and not really sure the inner workings of its skeleton.  I was also looking into attaching a carrier to the front or back 

- New car seats, preferably with a headrest for added safety. We love the original brown leather! Has anyone done a seat swap? 

- We are missing a "city water" cover, I checked amazon but I don't know 

- Lastly we have AC in the cab, but nothing in the camper. I know the pop top will create some great ventilation. How do you guys stay cool? Anyone considered a roof ac? 

Thank you so much! Looking forward to some advice and sharing our journey 

Amber 

Screen_Shot_2016-07-26_at_1.29.59_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2016-07-26_at_1.32.15_PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 1.32.50 PM.png

2 hours ago, ambercaye said:

because you all are the best of the best and very knowledgable

I don't know if I can help you but please, keep the high platitudes coming.

Two topics that have gotten a lot of discussion on here is solar and refrigerators and often together.  Lots of ways to approach the topic but the first question to pop into my head is what do you mean by more efficient?  They run pretty economically on propane.  If you stay somewhere that has power they don't charge you by the watt.  If you mean in conjunction with solar and batteries, then cost and weight become the biggest factors.  So how many days away from civilization do you intend be?  I get it, the sun is free.  The hardware however is not.  Don't have huge surface area up top either and then storage and kayaks.  None of this is intended to dissuade you from solar but it has its costs.  So what am I missing in your inquiry regarding solar and fridge?  If you have a working fridge and propane system, why replace it?

Yes I agree with Don. The fridge is about as efficient as your going to get. Your Chinook looks beautiful but the tops have been known to sag. I might consider putting up some lightweight solar but an air conditioning unit is out of the question. Not to mention trying to pop the top with another 100lbs up there.

Linda S

Back East Don, I suppose I meant by way of solar and batteries. We intend on traveling for a while without being on any hook ups or anything. I just assumed since this is the original fridge, that it wouldn't be very efficient. I've researched solar and know the costs are pretty steep, but it's something we would eventually like to do, you know a year or two from now. Totally not dissuading me at all :) I've seen some flexible solar panels, those are big money. Maybe I can use the ones that I stand up next to the car so the roof doesn't have to be involved at all? We need to make sure everything is working correctly and then I can get a better idea if anything needs some replacing. Just wanted some ideas so I can contain my ever growing check list of chinook curiosities. 

I can see how the roof would give after time, I think whoever had it before us did in fact have a rack up there (some old holes are sealed up) I can barely lift up the pop top as it is so I couldn't even imagine it with the AC or anything like that on top! Need some WD40! 

Thanks Linda and B.E.D for your advice, it is greatly appreciated.

Amber

11 hours ago, ambercaye said:

We intend on traveling for a while without being on any hook ups or anything.

For perspective, I camp 2 to 3 day trips mostly without any electric hook up and sometimes no water.  We go every other weekend approximately from mid May to Oct.  I run the water heater, stove and fridge.  I fill up the propane tank once a year at the beginning of the season and it is never close to empty.  If you are on the road traveling propane is something fairly common.  It is not set or forget but it is easily managed.

As you use your new to you RV, you'll figure out what works well and doesn't.  Planning long term works best and work in order of importance.  You had a few questions on sealing it up.  That would be my first priority and what I preach.  Top down as water infiltration is the death of these machines.  Deal with the exterior and once that is done take care of some of the easy stuff if everything else is functional.  Then enjoy it some.  Over time it will become more apparent what you really need and what isn't that important.  We added a microwave and a TV in ours.  I took both out this year along with a lot of unnecessary weight we were carrying around.  When all of those needed projects become clear, post and this community will be glad to help. Also poke around the search.  I had most of mine half done before I ever said hello here because so much was available.

Edited by Back East Don

iAmbercaye, I am new to the Chinook as well.  I got a lot of important advise in this forum.  People here know what they are talking about and are very helpful.  As for the roof, I was told to open the windows and door of the camper so it won't create a vacuum of air and make it easier to open and close the pop up.  Another thing you might want to check is the shocks because lot of people didn't bother to change them every 50 to 60,000 miles.  Mine has 81,300 miles and I am changing the shocks this week being that they are the original ones.  I am sure it will make a difference on the ride.  Mine is a 76 as well.  If you need the manuals for the camper look for me (Chinooking) and you will find them there.  There were very useful for me.  I found a used shop manual for the truck part on Amazon.  The truck part is the same as any other 76 Toyota Hi-Lux truck.  Good luck with your restoration.

Edited by Chinooking
A correction.