85 Sunrader

I am pretty good with just about everything on my Itasca and from going over mine certainly know a lot about what to look at in general when checking a RV out.  This one is not exactly the shorty I'm looking for but I could wait a long time for one.  So this 21 footer has come across my path and I intend to go take a look.  The main question of this post is any Sunrader specific things to look out or watch for.

From the seller the clutch is gone and it burns oil.  (Good so far huh?)

Rust is not an issue

Says he was told the interior is better than most.  He says if he can get his girlfriend in it, it's not that bad.  (being married to my wife I totally get this statement)

Has a generator but says that it and the AC is wonky but other than the heater, everything works.

Took it out a lot last couple years including a trip around the country.

Got one picture and he will work on getting me more but he's not that far from me so I'm inclined to just go see it in person.

Here's the picture to identify what it is but not much else.  From this view any one know what the floor plan is?

sunrader.jpg

Looks very similar to the 84 that I had, the dinette is in the rear, when you walk in, straight across from the entrance door is the generous size bathroom. And when you turn left your kitchen is on the same side as the door except for the fridge, the fridge is on the opposite wall next to the dinette.  Between the fridge and bathroom is a decent size double door closet  The two things that I like better about the 21 footer is the bigger closet (21 has a double door closet 18 has a single door hanging closet, and a sink in the bathroom with more stretch room.  Does it have a factory generator in a compartment?  Also is it a 4 spd or 5 spd.  My 18 ft that I have now is a 5 spd and the 21 I had was a 4spd.  The 4 spd would really eat up a hill on the interstate, it really took a hard grade before I had to down shift.  I even towed a 6x10 enclosed trailer with it loaded with car parts from Knoxville TN to Charlotte NC and back, crossed over Asheville Mountain towing and never had to down shift and at the worst I don't think I dropped below 45-50 mph.  I have noticed on a hill with my 5 spd that I have to hunt for lower gears a little more often, but once I get over the hump I can put it in 5th and boogie on down the road at 70.   If I ran my 4 spd at 70 it felt like it was wound too tight, so I usually cruised at 65

1 minute ago, Bryan C said:

Between the fridge Ian's bathroom is a decent size double door closet  The two things that I like better about  the 21 footer is the bigger closet (21 has a double door closet 18 has a single door hanging closet, and a sink in the bathroom with more stretch room.

Interesting, my 85 has a single door closet. (Ignore the refrigerator, that section was torn out to make room for the larger unit.)

IMG_2839.jpg

Great when I take my own advice.  I did a search and found the 85 brochure.   Here are the floor plan layouts.  Likely a 210RD or 210RB as these layouts are the only two with door up front.  I'd be fine with either but dinette is the preference.  I had only been finding the 210RBK which is not the layout I want.  I like the large rear window layout.  I mostly only found this with the 18 footer.  This would be the better choice out of any of those if this is in good enough condition to warrant putting the effort in.  Had the talk with the wife.  She is on board.  I'm scheduled to go look on Friday afternoon so I've time to get some more information and plan what to do if I buy it.

floorplan1.jpg

Edited by Back East Don

Mine is the 210 RD, I suspect the one you're looking at is too. All the exterior doors, vents, etc look to be in the same place.

Let me know if you want any additional pictures to get an idea of the layout.

IMG_2840.jpg

Actually, it's very close to the 210 RD, but the bench seats for the dinette go across the rear too, sort of in a "U" shape. The power converter, shore power storage, and battery box are under that section.

2 minutes ago, Kale said:

Let me know if you want any additional pictures to get an idea of the layout.

Thanks.  I'm good on the layout.  That and I'm going to just have to have a look for myself.  I'll prep a rough restoration plan this week and start putting together the budget.  Anyone know if the 85 is 4 or 5 speed?  The W42 is listed for 80's pickups but I found a ref to the W55 for 84-90 2WD with the 22RE.  So that and what differences are the clutch assemblies?  I'll also have to decide how much of the engine rebuild I want to do myself or farm out.  Last full rebuild I did was a 73 Toy 3KC 1.2 liter.  That was actually really pretty strait forward.  That and amazingly light as I pulled the engine head and block out by hand. 

1 hour ago, Kale said:

Interesting, my 85 has a single door closet. (Ignore the refrigerator, that section was torn out to make room for the larger unit.)

IMG_2839.jpg

Now that I see a picture of yours, I  am mistaken, mine just seemed like it had another closet door, but that extra space is taken up by the larger bathroom with the sink in it.  I sold my 21 footer about 7 years ago.  

1 hour ago, Back East Don said:

Great when I take my own advice.  I did a search and found the 85 brochure.   Here are the floor plan layouts.  Likely a 210RD or 210RB as these layouts are the only two with door up front.  I'd be fine with either but dinette is the preference.  I had only been finding the 210RBK which is not the layout I want.  I like the large rear window layout.  I mostly only found this with the 18 footer.  This would be the better choice out of any of those if this is in good enough condition to warrant putting the effort in.  Had the talk with the wife.  She is on board.  I'm scheduled to go look on Friday afternoon so I've time to get some more information and plan what to do if I buy it.

floorplan1.jpg

Wow! I never knew they offered the 210BK and 210RB, is the dinette that they are listing kind of like a jacknife couch with a table?  That would mean that there are Sunraders with 3 beds?  

4 hours ago, Kale said:

IMG_2839.jpg

Well maybe I'm not completely off my rocker but I found a 1986 21 foot SR. on Albuquerque Craigslist with the same lay out as my 1984 21 foot SR, but now I can't for sure  remember if I had one closet door or two, (I think it was two)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Update:  It's a bust.  He was storing it on a Farm and apparently someone who works  there, bought it this evening.  He was apologetic and at least he called.  Even the wife was on board with this one after seeing the pictures.  The search continues........

Edited by Back East Don

It is indeed the same layout as mine.

No rear seat cushions. Appears the carpet has been removed and the plywood painted.

I probably can't give you much advice other than the obvious stuff you already know, such as looking for water damage. Assuming the mechanical won't be too expensive I'd go for it. Wish mine looked as good.

1 hour ago, Kale said:

Wish mine looked as good.

For the most part I like what I see with the outside.  The front windows appear to be siliconed.  No pictures of the berth.  Isn't the front end always the challenge for me?  The hood has some dings but cab looks pretty good.  The rest of the exterior looks very good from what I see. 

Edited by Back East Don

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 9:37 PM, Bryan C said:

Wow! I never knew they offered the 210BK and 210RB, is the dinette that they are listing kind of like a jacknife couch with a table?  That would mean that there are Sunraders with 3 beds?  

The bunk model actually has 4 beds. The overhead, the couch that is listed as a dinette and 2 bunk beds. The 210RB has a permanent rear bed that stays a bed all the time and a tiny sofa that doesn't open. A child could sleep on it though

Linda S