FLICKERING OIL LIGHT

SCRIPAL

Recently, I have noticed my oil light flickers when idling.  It never does it after acceleration or while driving. I have checked the oil level several times and it always shows full level.  My engine is the 3.0 V6.  Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions as to what the problem might be?  I was thinking it might be the oil sending unit but I am not sure if it even has one.

It's not at all uncommon for the transmitter to go toes up that's kind of what they do when they get tired. If there is even the slightest bit of oil on it that's a dead give away.

50 minutes ago, scripalbert@gmail.com said:

Recently, I have noticed my oil light flickers when idling.  It never does it after acceleration or while driving. I have checked the oil level several times and it always shows full level.  My engine is the 3.0 V6.  Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions as to what the problem might be?  I was thinking it might be the oil sending unit but I am not sure if it even has one.

The only way to know for sure what is going on is by sticking in a mechanical gauge.   Low pressure at low idle when an engine is hot is very common on worn engines.  Heck - some did it when new like just about every two-stroke Detroit Diesel on the planet.  A bad sending unit can do it and a worn engine can do it.  That pressure sender is likely set to make the light come on when pressure drops below 7-10 PSI when working correctly.  As Mr. Maine already said, they certainly DO go bad.

This is a rebuilt engine, less than 10K miles.  The valve cover gaskets were leaking but they have been replaced and there is no evidence of oil on the floor now. If the sending unit is in close proximity perhaps it did catch some oil from the leaky gaskets. I cannot remember what weight oil I used last time but I think it may have been 5W30 high mileage.  It does not matter whether on a cold start or after the engine is warmed when it goes to idle, the oil light flickers.  Not always but most times.  When I push the accelerator light out and does not come back on.

2 hours ago, scripalbert@gmail.com said:

It does not matter whether on a cold start or after the engine is warmed when it goes to idle, the oil light flickers.  Not always but most times.  When I push the accelerator light out and does not come back on.

My guess would be (and does) weigh heavily on a sending unit. Having oil on it is not the issue.  What Mr. Maine was referring to is when the sender is actually leaking oil, it is a good sign that it's bad and might also be sending a false signal. It's a $10-$12 item if your rig has no gauge and just a light.  If you need a sender for a gauge, price leaps up to $30-$40.