Floor covering

jjrbus

I had decided on the locking vinyl planks for the floor.  When I when I went to buy them I found out they are heavy.   I am thinking too heavy.  Next on my list would be sheet vinyl, am I missing anything here?

When I was at the kitchen salvage this week, I noticed some thin vinyl glue down planks.  I did mine with the thinnest composite I could find but thought if I needed to do it again, I'd likely go with those instead.  Better way to get a wood floor look than most sheet vinyl I've seen.

I suspect, not 100% sure that the glue down planks would be the same as vinyl tile, a long thin tile instead of square.  Most vinyl tile I have seen in motor homes has not fared well.  I do not know if it is improper installation, flexing, large temperature changes?   I personally would not install it in my motorhome but of course only my opinion.  The click and lock vinyl I looked at was surprisingly heavy. 

The laminates I have seen are too heavy for my toy, I did use them in my last motor home and liked them. 

Went and looked at the charts,   average laminate weight 1.5-1.8 lbs square ft ( they are not weighting the laminates I looked at)   clickable vinyl plank  2-2.3 lbs square ft.  About 45 square foot in my Toy. 

Adding 90 lbs at this point is not doable.  I am not done and already at 5600 lbs with a GVWR of 6000 lbs. 

The way I read it the vinyl I am looking at weights 0.23958 lbs per sq ft so a 45 sq ft piece would weight 10.78125 lbs.   Which seems too light, I will weight it when I buy it.

I was out on the water the other day and saw a 2016 spanking new still had plastic covers on the seats pontoon boat... interestingly the flooring was not marine carpet but instead was some kind of sheet vinyl that provided grip, tolerated high heat/sun and looked so dang close to teak planks i had to ask the owner if i could feel it after asking if it had come stock. It was really beautiful vinyl. If i could get sheet vinyl like that i might rip out my bamboo flooring that weights 110 lbs

Ok, I had to search for it.  Flexiteek is a synthetic marine teak.  A little under a pound per square ft if my google conversion math is correct. 

Also Aquatread & Plasteak but couldn't find the weight of either.

Edited by Back East Don
addition

5X12 roll sheet vinyl weights approx 15 lbs and is 60 square ft,  I will use 42 sq ft so a ballpark of 11 lbs vs the  90 lbs for vinyl plank.  I like the plank much better but not at that weight!

Edited by jjrbus