Newbe with some stupid questions

Will Hawkins

Hi all,

My wife and I just bought a 1985 Toyota 21' Escaper motorhome. And that is the extent of my Motorhome knowledge. However I was a mechanic for many years in my youth so nothing scares me and I plan to do most of the work my self fixing up our new little slice of home. When I checked out the Escaper I only really looked at the motor and stuff it's self and it is all sound. The back half is clean but god only knows if it is in good working order. 

When plugged into house power all seems to come on and work as well as I expect it too. Lights fans AC. However it is not running off battery. Ok Looks like either a batter or the relay on the power converter. I figured I would just replace the converter with something new and not worry about it. So here is my question. How do I know what amperage this is 30? 50? what should I look for. What converter should I look at? I have not pulled anything out we just got it home yesterday. But any advice I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.  

Cool ya "Shore Power" is a 3 prong plug that kinda looks like a 220v plug and had a converter on it that brings it to a standard house 110v 3 prong grounded plug. So that is 30amps? Good to know. Thanks. 

should be. 50 amps is for very large RVs that have washing machines etc. I supposed it could be possible someone puts huge 50 amp line on tiny RV but not sure why.

So this is what I could find and get pics of. This seems to look different then anything I have seen. I am sure you are going to say "OMG! don't plug it into anything! It will explode..." Because its all so old right? Hee hee

So looks like I have a fuse "box" a Breaker "box" and a power inverter. I assume the inverter is for 12v to 110v? What I am not seeing is a "Power Converter" like what I have seen on line. Is that the thing with the 3 20amp breakers?

behind all there there is something in a perforated metal box. Is that the converter? Maybe? Thoughts? 

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_5297.JPG

IMG_5298.JPG

Yes it is an Inverter it makes 120 volts AC from 12 volts DC. The glass fuses are all 12 volt DC the breaker box is 120 volts AC. Your plug is an RV plug there is nothing else it will plug into other than an RV outlet it is rated at 30 amps 120 volt. I could not tell you how your inverter is wired it is an add on so any thing goes. Your breaker box has been tinkered the 30 amp breaker is the main breaker it should turn every thing off there should be a 15 amp and a 20 amp breaker not two 20's. The outlets are wired with a #14 wire it's rating is 15 amps the 20 was used for units with AC most time they were wired even if it had no AC it will be  a #12 wire. There is a relay inside of the converter that is connected to the battery if it is an open frame relay it is 30 amp with a 120 volt coil to turn it on when plugged in. Some used a micro switch and a 120 coil. If the relay hangs up you will have no 12 volt DC when you unplug but it will work plugged in. The converter makes probably 30 amps DC and charges at a few amps DC that is why they have a relay the converter has two circuits inside one to charge the battery the other to run the lights when charging the relay disconnects the battery to charge it. Modern converter chargers do not do this they are far better in all respects and can be install with minor wiring changes.

Thanks you so much this gets me on my way. I was pretty sure what I was looking at but you confirmed it. Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

no rv use a converter that steps down 120 to 12v.the  shore power goes to the beaker box .the a lot of rv plants .jump a hot wire from breaker box to run converter that will run your lights in mini off the glass fuses.all your inter lighting and furnace and water pump are 12v.the breaker box runs your ac and your receipts