When I replaced the knock sensor & harness, I had to remove the intake manifold which means the fuel injectors had to be removed.

Went online and considered sending my injectors to one of the shops that test & clean, I found some videos on how to test them yourself using hypodermic syringes, carb cleaner & a 9v battery.  I did that and the injectors appeared to work fine.  One of The pic shows part of my test rig. the small line has a smaller syringe that fits over the input end of the injector (the end of it is barely insight).  You fill the large syringe with carb cleaner and use the plunger to create pressure, then touch the connectors for the 9v battery to test.  There are some youtube videos showing people doing the procedure.  Will try to get a better pic later,

While investigating sending my injectors off, I also looked at what "new" (rebuilt) injectors would cost.  I found several folks selling injectors that have 4 injection holes- supposed to make much more atomization of the fuel and get more power.

Has anyone tried these?   I gather our ECU's are supposed to be able to trim the fuel so they work with no mods. 

Here is an ad that has a video embedded for the 4 holers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-4Runner-Pickup-89-95-3VZE-3-0L-V6-4-hole-upgrade-fuel-injectors-w-video-/261228448791

The injP1060049.JPGThe injP1040422.JPGP1040424.JPGc  The injector pics are of the stock injectors 

Funny this comes up.. on ebay they are selling the 4 hole super squirt injectors for our truck. The guys at 22reperformance.com told me to avoid these like the plague and to stay stock. says they waste fuel and burn too rich.

I have read some reports stating the same.   I also have seen to see others who report how great they are.    The running rich issue is of concern to me.   The ecu is supposed to be able to detect (via O2 sensor) that the engine is running rich and trim down the amount of fuel.  

Every time the battery is disconnected, the ECU memory is wiped out.  Seems to me when restarting, the ECU has to figure out that it needs to trim down from the default fuel trim settings, hence running rich - at least for a while.  Seems it could be a problem,  especially if one has a weak 02 sensor

I put new fuel injectors in my 1988 last summer, with a 22RE.  Brand new, not so-called "rebuilt."  I used to work in a diesel injection shop and regard so-called "rebuilt" injectors a waste of money.  Just my opinion.  There are moving mechanical parts inside an injector and no amount of cleaning renews those parts.   I also do not believe the injectors with the extra holes do a thing as far as fuel mileage or performance goes.  I am a strong advocate of keeping the injectors original unless the engine is has been modified.

By the way, if anyone out there happens to have a 1988 with a 22RE - and needs injectors - watch out!   1988 uses a type of injector only used in 1988. Not 1987 and not 1989. I found that out the hard way.

I find it amazing the FI system used in the 22RE works at all.  As I assume most people know, a four-stroke-cycle engine only fires once ever other rotation of the engine.   I.e. two revolutions and one fire on the "power stroke."  Modern engines inject fuel at that power stroke.  These old Toyotas fire a half-charge of fuel on EVERY stroke so some of it just sits there and waits to get used on the next rev.

Photo shows the end of a new injector.  There is a steel pintle-rod in there that hammers up and down on a seat.  If an engine is running at 2000 RPM, one injector is opening and closing 1000 times a minute.  So an engine with 100K miles has an injector that has opened and closed 150,000,000 times.  And we are to assume that just cleaning it makes it like new?

DSCF5830.JPG