Datsun versus Toyota

zero

I came across a road-test in Woodalls Travel Trailer magazine in 1978.  A 1976 Dolphin 300 with a Datsun chassis is compared to a 1978 Dolphin 300 on a Toyota chassis.  The Datsun with a smaller 2 liter engine got 13 MPG and the Toyota with a bigger 2.2 liter engine got 15.5 MPG.  Why such a big difference, I do not know. I wish I had a photo of the 1976 to see if maybe it is more boxy and has more wind-drag.  I know the Datsun had a 4.30 rear axle, whereas the Toyota had a 4.11 rear axle.  Datsun also had harder commercial tires with an 8 ply rating, whereas Toyota only came with 6 ply.

Image3a.jpg

Image4a.jpg

Hmm. In 1976 if that's the year Datsun they tested, Dolphin had only one micro mini model and they didn't give it a number. On a Toyota chassis the 76 weighed 3420 with a full tank of gas. By 1978 as you can see the weight had gone up 500lbs. Datsun and Toyota chassis weighed virtually the same so weights should be same too. Does make it kind of hard to explain. Does mention a more aerodynamic roof line and the 78's had air shocks. Maybe less bounce better mileage?

Linda S

Funny thing is the Datsun tested better in MPGs then  the Toyota when empty.  In fact, a LOT better if the only-version Datsun is compared to the California version Toyota.

datsun_toyota.jpg

well that second comparison has to be from the same year vehicles so the would have both had the better roof line and air shocks. Since the earlier test was on the first model made I'm thinking human error might have had something to do with it. Someone who's not used to a heavy vehicle with such a small engine might have a heavy foot trying to get it to go. By 78 they had driven more of them and knew what to expect

Linda S