Well, the drug-trade members stole the catalytic converter from my 1991 Toyota Sunrader RV in Sacramento! Given I inherited this and have no manuals, I am looking for what kind I need to replace it. Online site prices vary from $70 to $200 and I have no idea why!

Can anyone give me advice as to what I need to buy and if you have a preferred online vendor you shop from?

Thanks!

Robert

Well, the drug-trade members stole the catalytic converter from my 1991 Toyota Sunrader RV in Sacramento! Given I inherited this and have no manuals, I am looking for what kind I need to replace it. Online site prices vary from $70 to $200 and I have no idea why!

Can anyone give me advice as to what I need to buy and if you have a preferred online vendor you shop from?

Just about any muffler shop can put in another one for you. I don't think that they are vehicle specific so as long as the inlet and outlet are the proper diameter you should be fine. When I went to 2 1/2" pipe on my Toyota pickup I used a catalytic for an L-88 Vett. Get your new one welded on this time. Makes it harder to take that way

Sometimes the prices vary simply with whatever they can get by with or if the converter is an exact replacement for the vehicle, as in "coming from a Toyota dealer".

I ordered a converter for a Chevy Corsica that I once owned. The converter actually rusted through at 220,000 miles. I ordered an exact fit replacement from JC Whitney for $99. The "exact fit" actual converter body length was half the size of the original one but with longer inlet and outlet pipes so that it's length was the same as the original. I don't know if it "converted" anything or not, but the exhaust noise rose about 6db (loud) and it got better gas mileage and more power. It never failed an emissions test but I don't think the tests can measure the effectiveness of the converter, at least, at that time.

Allen

Hi all - I recently had to have an exhaust manifold leak repaired, and the mechanic recommended having the cat converter checked. The muffler shop I went to told me that Toyota used a highly restrictive converter back in the early 1980's and just recommended replacing my current one(it is the original 1982). The new converter is about half the size of the original and I did notice a small improvement in performance. The paperwork certifies that the new unit is smog legal in California. I guess that there has been a big improvement in the technology in the last 20 years!

Bill

I priced out one at Toyota for my turbo, $400 plus. The local auto parts does have a replacement for under $125 so I bought one. After realizing my gas mileage went down and I did not have as much power I pulled it off. Comparing the old (which I still had) to the new it looked the same on the outside. What I discovered was that the inlet and outlet were actually reduced in size where they attached to the body, almost 3/8 of an inch. So I went back to the store and the guy (kid) there had the nerve to tell me that because it was more modern than my old one it had a higher flow rate. A smaller diameter pipe will never calculate to a higher flow rate in my book. I was quoted about $300 plus by a muffler shop to custom weld up a high flow one with the correct flanges. I am actually planning to install a bigger diameter exhaust front to back so the cat is on hold till then.