packing a toy

yotastrange

I never have traveled with very much weight in the first place.  I start out with a full fresh water tank (our well has the best water I've ever tasted!), full propane tank, empty black and grey water tanks and full fuel tank.  Other than that, a few groceries, a few changes of clothes, a couple of books, my guitar and stash of rum and I'm down the road.  All the other essentials like bedding, dishes, silverware, cups, glasses, coffee pot, small tool kit, batteries, etc. live in the motorhome anyway.

John

I try to get it evenly distributed in front of the rear wheels. With too much weight behind them, you get the motorboat effect where you feel like you don't come out of turns properly. I try to put most of my heavy stuff as low to the floor as possible to keep the weight low as well. This just helps steering and handling.

We also try to pack light.  We each take along a couple of books, camera equipment, a laptop computer, food and clothing for 5 days.  I put about 5 gallons of water in the fresh tank, full propane tank, full fuel, a reasonable tool box, 2 folding chairs, and leveling blocks.  Extravigant items include a good ax & cast iron frying pan.  We try to keep the weight balanced left to right and keep the heaviest stuff as far forward as possible.  We have a cargo carrier on the rear with a light weight plastic box for the chairs, leveling blocks and a very light weight folding table.