Wallpaper, need to whine

jjrbus

I am managing to get some things done on the Toy. One of which is  wallpaper.  I have done it in a motorhome before and it worked out ok.  I did my due diligence and found the best materials to use. Then went at it, looked good but after a few days the paper is starting to lift, not a small spot but several places! I have only done one wall.

As I looked at this with disgust I realized that it was every area where I had problems getting the paper in place and the edges.   I am thinking I used too much pressure and squeezed the glue out from under the paper as I tried to get it in place and roll the seams.

So my options are try to glue it back down, tear it off and redo or use a flamethrower on it.

On the bright side I plugged in the 120V and no smoke or sparks, soon will be able to turn on the 12V.        Jim

Can add nothing to this conversation but empathy and "ain't it always something?" :-)  I know I keep wondering if I'm crazy to lay out good money to get the equivalent of my father's boat back in the day.  What my mother fondly referred to as a hole in the water to throw money into...oh well, now it's my day, so I guess we all pick our poison.

ouch!  sorry to hear.  sucks when you work your tail off and do it "right" only to have the results not come out like you planned.  "been there, had that done to me".....

a few random thoughts:  1.  blue 3M masking tape works great as a gluing "clamp" for stuff like this....shouldn't lift the wallpaper and usually even glue squeeze-out won't stick to the adhesive side of the tape.  2.  you might could inject some thinned glue through any bubbles before clamping them. 

Bobblefrog, no, some of us dabble in all the poisons at once, thereby ensuring that we're always overwhelmed timewise and always out of $.  at least I 'm not tossing $ into photography or airplanes these days......

but every time I feel discouraged, I go to the RV section of my local CL and exult that i'm not one of the folks trying to sell their originally-six-figure 37' RV for $3000........

Thanks for the sympathy, needed and appreciated! Another one of those I should take up golf again days, but I really do not like golf!    

I do not have any bubbles, the coming loose is on the seams and where I cut around windows and had trouble working into place. Which leads me to believe I squeezed the glue out. I picked up some Romans seam repair and will give it a try.   Jim

Go to your local hardware store and get a tube or small tub of vinyl to vinyl wallpaper adhesive. You can use an artist  bristle brush to get it spread on thin enough in small areas. But not one of the floppy brushes, it needs some stiffness. Likely the problem was not how you applied it but simply that the edges dried out too fast.

I picked up Romans seam adhesive and put some on today. It appears to be working but time will tell!  I am 99% sure that I caused the problem by squeezing out glue as I installed paper.   On the plus side I activated the 12V system and no smoke or sparks so far, will be sorting through that in the next few days.   Jim SW FL