Leaf spring information

cjac

1 hour ago, cjac said:

Does anyone have information on how far apart the leaf springs are on all 80s Toyota's pickups 

Yes.  Which measurement?  Fore and after between the mounts on one leaf-spring assembly, or side-to-side between the spring centers? The latter changes early 80s.  Early trucks with 2 1/2" OD axle tubes have springs spaced 37" apart.  Later trucks (starting late 83 as I recall) have 3 1/8" OD axle tubes and springs are spaced 39 1/4" apart.

My 1984 mini has the 5 lug and I measured 37 inches. I found a one ton floater that is a 1988 he measured 36 1/4 between the springs and he said that's a rough measurement with using a yard stick

He's probably measuring inside to inside rather than to center of spring perch.

Also, his yardstick is only good for 36". The rest is a guess. ?

37" and 39 1/4" are exact dimensions. It is one or the other if factory-made.  There is no way a 1988 measures 36 1/4" if not some sort of home-done customized rig. It also makes no difference if a 5-lug semi-floater or a 6-lug full-floater. Toyota made the frame rails further apart in the later trucks. No way to narrow the spring-span side-to-side that I can imagine.

rear axle compare.jpg

So it's possible that the 88 one ton was modified to 36 1/4 ( a guess using a yard stick)  but maybe 37 inches that should bolt right up to my 84 frame. 

1 hour ago, cjac said:

So it's possible that the 88 one ton was modified to 36 1/4 ( a guess using a yard stick)  but maybe 37 inches that should bolt right up to my 84 frame. 

Many full-floating rears had the spring perches relocated to fit the older and narrower truck frames.  Those were the ones that Toyota furnished to upgrade RVs made before 1986 that were subject to the so called "safety recall."   So yes, any full-floater that is mounted in a 1985 or older truck with the narrower frame - if done professionally - will fit just like an older semi-floater would (for the same year).  I've got a 1987 full-floater in my 1978 Chinook. I had to cut off the spring perches, move them in a bit, and reweld them.